PDA

View Full Version : How did you find out about your childs' diabetes?

abacobaby
02-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Grace was just recently diagnosed about three weeks ago. She was not sick at all at the time. Actually, the only signs of anything being a little wacky was her craving water all the time and peeing in my bed a few times. So, I called the Dr. about it and he told me to bring her in right away to test her sugar. It came as a huge shock to me to find out that she has diabetes.

I'm just curious how you all found out? Was your child sick at all or did you find out the annual checkup?

zell828
02-22-2008, 05:59 AM
My stepdaughter was diagnosed last week. About 2 weeks ago on a weekend when we had her we noticed she was really tired, not eating well, and drinking a lot. We asked her Mom about it and she said "She's been like this for a week or so, she's just tired". My husband told Mom to take her to the doctor then to rule out anything medically wrong, but she never did. Well, after we had her it bothered us that entire week then afterwards as to what it could be. I researched on line, we talked to her teacher at school, and we racked our brains. We didn't know if something emotional was happening to her or what. All we knew was that she was going to get braces on her top teeth in March and we didn't know if that was bothering her. Well, our visit came up 5 days later again on a Friday (for 5 hours we had her that night) and when we took her home my husband took her inside, came back out and had a really weird look on his face. I asked what was wrong and he said she had wet her pants! She is 8 and NEVER had this problem ever. We just both sat there in silence and fear. We knew something was terribly wrong. I told my husband to get back in the house and tell her Mom to take her to the doctor right away. So he went back inside and talked to her and told her AGAIN to take her to the doctor. Well, after that we got a call on Monday (3 days later) that Mom took her to the ER and she was diagnosed diabetic. They transferred her to the Children's Hospital that night. We went there right away and the next day we spent getting our training in with the dietician, pharmacy, etc. We have no idea what happened that Mom had to take her to the ER. We probably will never know. It was a relief to finally find out what was going on, but I was sad too to know it was this. My husband is type 2 diabetic so in the back of my mind we were thinking it could be this, but we weren't sure and we were hoping it wasn't.

kelpie
02-22-2008, 06:19 AM
My daughter became really ill just after Christmas 3 yrs ago.. she was really thirsty and then started throwing up - I took her to the bathroom to give her a shower and became alarmed to see how much weight she'd suddenly lost... it all happened so quickly. At the time there was a bout of 'winter vomiting sickness' going around and the hospitals were advising cases to stay at home so I called in and we were given an appointment a few hours later - while waiting to see the nurse she started blacking out and that was it.. 48 hrs in intensive care and then two weeks in the children's ward. Needless to say life's never been the same since!

Deannas mom
02-22-2008, 06:23 AM
My DD was DX a year and a half ago, at 10 yrs old. but I remember the day vividly. She also was not really sick at first. She started needing to go to the bathroom alot, saying that she had to go again and she just went. sometimes she wouldn't quite make it to the bathroom and would wet her self just a Little. She was also very thirsty all the time, eating ice like there was no tomorrow. I took her to the peds because I thought she had an UTI. they tested her for an infection and she did have one. she took the medication to clear up the UTI and when we took her back a week later I told the Dr. that she still felt like she had to go to the bathroom all the time. He sent us to a peds urologist ( I think i said that right) and they tested her bladder and kidneys for any problems, it was then that they found sugar in her urine and told us to go back to the peds office and have her tested for diabetes. the rest is as we say history.:rolleyes:

Beach bum
02-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Abby was diagnosed back in June of 05. In Sep. of '04 she had hand, foot and mouth disease (cockasackie virus). From that point on, she was never really healthy, stomach bugs, colds, rashes etc.
We went to the doc for treatment, but since she was showing no other symptoms, it never dawned on anyone.

FF to June, we are in the docs office because Abby has been drinking like crazy, peeing like crazy, cranky, tired, terrible diaper rash even though she doesn't wear diapers. Turns out she lost 6lbs has large ketones. We were told to go right to the hospital, don't go home for anything, doc will call husband and tell him to bring what I need.
Abby has diabetes.

So, that's our story.

We have identical twin girls, so we don't know what the future holds for Maddy, but we keep our fingers crossed.

kodasmom
02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
New Years Day 2008.....
My son came down stairs for the first time in months with no shirt on & I noticed that he had dropped alot of weight. He looked so pale and thin. I asked him if he felt ok, and he said, "no I don't". When he said that his breath had a horrible smell to it. It was then we decided to head to the ER at our local hospital. It only took about 5 minutes to have him dx'd, and we transported him to the U of Iowa Hospital where we spent 3 days.
He had been compaining of being thirsty all the time, but I had just chalked it up to being winter time, and a little drier in the house than normal....

Kirsten
02-22-2008, 06:49 AM
We went on vacation to AZ and Griffin, then 18 months was drinking a lot. I thought, "Good for him, he's staying hydrated." But when we returned home it continued.He also developed a nasty diaper rash (which turned out to be yeast). He was due for a well visit with his ped that Monday, so we mentioned it to her and she tested his urine. When it came up positive, she sent us straight to the hospital. My husband is T2 and his mom died at 53 from complications of T1, so we were familiar with the signs.:(

Kirsten

Treysmom
02-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Trey was'nt sick either. He was dx'd on a Monday, that Sunday we were looking at photos he just passed out. Looking Back I see that he was drinking more, but it was AUGUST very hot in S Miss. I took him to the ped the next morning, she ran some test and he had glucose in his urine with a bg of 352. She sent us to the hosp for D instructions, we stayed there Mon - Thur.

Flutterby
02-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Kaylee was dx 2 years ago, she several weeks she was incredibly thristy, no matter how much she got to drink she wanted more and if she couldn't have it she'd throw a fit.. and all out temper tantrum.. she was peeing constantly, she was potty trained (she trained herself at 2.5 years of age) and I couldn't get more than 5 minutes down the road without her crying she had to go pee.. it was ridiculous.. I feel horrible now because I'd make her wait until we got to the store, most of the time she simple couldn't (boy, she got a lot of new clothes that year though.. ) and I always made sure she went before we left the house.. but it never failed she HAD to go on the trip to the store.. she also had funky breath, and her urine smelt like maple syrup.. the accidents at night were unbelievable.. I'd have to change her bed multiple times a night, she was wearing pullups and going right through them.. she hadn't lost anyweight, but she hadn't gained any since july 05..she wasn't eating much at this point

I called the ped's office after dh, jokingly, said 'she's probably got diabetes'.. and it ALL clicked.. I called late at night and the nurse said, bring her in in the am.. so at 10am I brought her in.. the dr checked her over, said she's just going to be petite.. and he thoguht she wasn't eating because she was drinking so much.. He said, because of her simptoms he said he wanted to check for diabetes.. asked if she could pee in a cup.. (it was the highlight of her day LOL).. he said you can sit in the lobby, I'll dip it and then let you know that everything is OK and you'll be all set to leave.. well, he called me back into the room, not a good sign, and told me that she has sugar in her urine.. we headed to the lab to confirm, then she spent the rest of the day at the pedi endo's office.. and the rest is history.. her sugar was 321 (esential fasting sugar) BUT she had no ketones, so she wasn't put in the hospital, we spend the next week at the ped endo's office learning..

Shannon's Mom
02-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Shannon was diagnosed 6 years ago. She was 4 and at her brother's baseball game. The game is 2 hours and she had me take her to the bathroom 3 times then had an accident on the way home. I immediately thought "diabetes" (I figured because I tend to think the worse case scenario). A year earlier a friend told me about another friend's child who had been diagnosed with symptoms of excess peeing and drinking a lot. On Sunday she mentioned several times she was thirsty. I called the ped. on Monday and said "she probably had a uti". Took her in and tested her sugar and instructed us to take her to the children's hospital. Because it was caught so early, she never felt bad - which also was difficult because we were in the hospital for 4 days and she felt fine so could not understand why she was there and why she was getting poked every hour! I had been working at a new small company for just about a year. One night when I got home from the hospital while my husband stayed, I had received an email from one of the owners. He was located in NJ and I had never met him. He said his son had been diagnosed 2 years earlier and gave the exact date. I didn't realize at the time that our "date" would stick in my mind forever also. He also said "not many people will understand the roller coaster ride you are on - please call me or my wife at any time of the day or night if you need anything or need to talk." I still get teary eyed thinking about his kindness. The next week another man approached me about his T1 son. I could not believe that this boy attended the small Christian school my daughter went to!!! Although his son was older, they became "nurse office buds". This company had 50 employees so I could not believe there were 3 employees with T1 children. Sorry to go on - it's amazing how the memories rush back.

Carrie
02-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Our daughther was diagnosed alomost two years ago at the age of 3 1/2. Being that we had both Type 1 (my sister's son) and 2 in my side of the family, we were pretty familiar with the symptoms of diabetes. Our daughter had two incidents, five days apart, where she would drink and ten minutes later have to go potty. This would go on for about forty-five minutes to an hour. The first time it happened, we were at a birthday party and someone brought it to my attention that she was back inside going to the bathroom. My SIL, having two girls, suggested bladder infection. But when our daughter would go, she would go a ton so I was thinking that an infection probably wasn't the case. I can remember getting a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that night. I just knew deep down that was probably what it was but denied it to myself. I took her to her ped the day after her second time of doing that. He did a urine test which indicated sugar. We went over to the hospital for labs, and an hour later our she was diagnosed. I can remember describing those initial feelings like, "My life is a snow globe. Someone just shook the crap out of it and I'm waiting for all the snow to settle." That and of course feeling like a Mac truck just ran you over. :rolleyes: At the family doctor, she was like a 388. By the time we got to the endo (an hour away and after eating a light lunch), she was a 441 with negative ketones. She acted perfectly fine with no signs of illness. We got a two-hour crash course in checking blood and giving shots, went home, and were back there the next day for more training.

I think one of the most disturbing things for me when we were diagnosed was her A1C. That revealed that this had been going on in her for at least three months prior!!!! Looking back, there were two things happening that I didn't pick up on. She still wore a diaper at night and for probably two months+ prior to diagnosis, she had been waking up most every morning soaking wet. She was also drinking a lot of milk, which the nurse said that some children crave (milk products) when they are first diagnosed. Even now when my daughter starts drinking milk vs. other drinks, more then likely she is high.

czardoust
02-22-2008, 07:58 AM
I think it was a combination of waiting for it to happen and then when it did (Kat was 3 and 1/2), the extreme thirst, constant bed wetting (just after we reached the milestone of a dry bed at night,lol) and then she just got very tired all the time, then one day I could not rouse her for anything. Even with knowing that one day one of my kids would get D, I did not want to see it and I know I waited too long to take her in. Because how could this happen to my child right? Drownin' in de nile..... When I was 10, my grandmother told me my fourth child would be diabetic if her father was a carrier like me. It was just genetics, nothing paranormal about the prediction. We had no clue until Kat was 7 that daddy was a carrier. I really dont think all the foresight in the world can prepare you for one of your children getting dx'ed.

Charmed7
02-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I'll keep this as short as possible though it was a 6 month period. :D

Around September, my son started wetting the bed after being dry for over a year. He was 3. I brought him in for a routine check up and asked, "Could he be diabetic? I hear you get thirsty and pee more if you are." (that was the most I knew about diabetes lol) They said, "No, sugar would be spilling over in his urine, which it's not." I said, "OK" (The one word I will dread for the rest of my life.) On the way out of the drs, they tell me my insurance was changed, (it was state) and that I now have a $2500 deductible PER MONTH! The doc pulled some strings so I only paid co-pay, but I pretty much lost my insurance.

Flash forward to the end of Feb. During that time, my insurance drama continues while my son's peeing accidents have excalated to wetting his pants. My friends are "used" to him drinking a lot. We're telling him to stop drinking at night because he keeps wetting the bed. I talk to the HR at my work about insurance and she says I have to wait for the window in April.

Begining of March. I'm at my friends house (who has bought a case of Snapple because my son is so thirsty when he's over) and we're all outside shooting the s. Her friend was over and my son comes out, "Can I have a drink." Downs the first snapple. Ten minutes later, "Can I have a drink." Downs the second snapple. My friend says, "Man can he drink." and her friends says, "Is his breath sweet?" I say, "I dunno, lets check." Yep it's sweet. She says I need to take him to a doctor right away and I say I can't I don't have insurance. Well my friend (who happens to be my boss) explains to me since I had coverage that cancelled, I wouldn't have to wait for the window in April, and I should have coverage. So Monday I make it happen. Tuesday, I take him to the doctor. He's lathargic, thirsty, and peeing. The doctor orders blood to be drawn, and sent to the lab for results to come in on Wednesday. That night, my sister was visiting and we walked to a playground down the street, and my son couldn't make the walk. He somberly played on the swings. We went out to dinner and he just drank water and layed down on the booth. The next morning I waited until 10:00 AM then called the doctor for results. They "said" they've been trying to call me (jerks) and I need to rush him to Children's right away. I called the baby sitter and she said she gave him a banana and fell asleep. I brought him to the hospital with a sugar level of 924. He slept in the hospital for 2 days. And was released 2 days after that.

So that's our story. And he was diagnosed on St Patty's Day. Five year anniversary is coming up.

Charmed

Sari
02-22-2008, 08:22 AM
This is a tough question today because it is our 2 year anniversary of diagnosis.

Ross had been very thirsty and peeing a lot. He was just 22 months old and peeing thru his overnight diapers - to the point we put 2 on him and he soaked thru both. I thought he was drinking a lot because we were trying to get rid of his pacifier and I thought he just wanted to suck on something. I kept searching online for excessive thirst and diabetes kept coming up. I thought - my son does not have diabetes! Well I called the pediatrician and they said to bring him in to rule it out. Before I left work to pick up Ross and take him to the dr, I read one last thing online about someone saying that a symptom of Diabetes should be yeast infection. Well sure enough he had been battlling a yeast infection for a couple of day. At that point I knew.

ScottB
02-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Justin was dx'd May of last year. The months leading up to that his grades were falling in school and he was constantly complaining that he was having a hard time staying awake in his classes. There were days where he felt like crud and we'd schedule an appointment with our family Dr. but he'd always start feeling better when that day would come and the appointment would get canceled. Finally we were at my inlaws place who are both T2 and he was feeling absolutely miserable and had a thirst he couldn't quench. Just for kicks my MIL tested his BS and all the meter would say was HI, we knew something was up and took him to the ER later that day expecting a dx of mononucleosis. The ER took their standard blood samples but came back later to take some more blood except there seemed to be a bit more urgency the second time around, waited some more and then they broke the news to us. Needless to say it was quite a shock to expect a dx of something as simple as mono and then find out it's T1D.

The only thing good that happened with all this was that there was a problem, it was correctly dx'd, Justin's grades picked back up and he felt healthy and active again.

Mom2Deacon
02-22-2008, 09:08 AM
So that's our story. And he was diagnosed on St Patty's Day. Five year anniversary is coming up.

Charmed

Deacon was diagnosed on St. Patty's Day last year.

--Sara

jennmcc
02-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Emma was peeing alot (about every 30 minutes). Her preschool teacher asked me about it one day. I told her I had noticed it as well and thought she might have a bladder infection or UTI. So, I called her ped. and made an appt. for that afternoon. They did the urine test for an infection and the Dr. came back in and said Nope not an infection. My first thought great, I have a child that is going to pee every 30 minutes from now on. Then she says she thinks it is Diabetes! What? No way I thought. We then walked down the hall to do bloodwork. Her Dr. said she would call us by 4PM and let me know the results. In the meantime I called my husband and told him this crazy tale! We were next door letting the kids play and Dr. calls my cell and says get a bag, go to the hospital right away, and YES your daughter has D! I lost it at that point. Hysterical you might say.

A little back ground info here. I have two girls and I was always bragging how my kids are never sick! They really never never get sick. I have been blessed! A month before Emma was diagnosed she broke her leg. She had gotten her cast off about 10 days before her diagnosis date of Nov. 6, 2006 at the age of 2 years.

Back to story... We went to hospital with a BS of 890. Stayed there overnight and came home to begin our journey....:)

Bsbllmom
02-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Christian was diagnosed a year ago. Years prior to that I would always tell him that he needed to eat vegetables and drink water, knowing nothing about diabetes, because there was a disease called diabetes and people get it from not being healthy.:confused: So FF to Jan. of last year he came to me and said he had an accident and immediately I thought diabetes. But of course I did the denial thing, since all of a sudden I noticed all the other symptoms, drinking tons of water, peeing all the time, hungry, losing weight and falling asleep at the drop of a dime. I talked to his teacher and she said that the last couple of weeks he had been leaving class to go to the restroom quite often. He hates the school bathrooms. I made an appointment and they couldn't get him in until March. This was the 9th of February. So I called back and said that I didn't feel comfortable waiting that long. So I took him in to get bloodwork done so it would be back by the time our appointment came. So on the 15th we went in and she drew blood. I had to ask her to do a bg check just so I would know that it wasn't d. She did and came back to make sure that he had fasted since the night before. His fasting bg was 355:eek: They called endo and he said he would have to be admitted and he was for a week. I never thought in a million years, when I left the hospital, that I would be able to take care of my child.

Look at us now.:D

wkat
02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
It was a slow gradual onset for us. I have T1 and checked my son's bs in May of '06 after a period in which he was acting very out of character and cranky after meals. Got a 239 and took him to the ER. When we got there his bs was 70 and A1C was 5.4. They tested for antibodies and he was positive for three. That summer he had no signs of glucose. We monitored his urine frequently for the next 1.5 years until he started showing signs again. Next A1C in September of '07 was 5.9. He then started to have post-meal spikes randomly after dinner and then more consistently. His A1C in January was 6.5 and they gave him a diagnosis. We started insulin just two weeks ago and since starting his numbers have gone up a lot and his A1C this week was 7.1. He didn't miss a day of school and no hospitalization.

Wendy

MamaC
02-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Looking back, several months' worth of symptoms never triggered anything. Then it all fell into place and I called the Dr. right before the school nurse called me to express concerns.

--Excessive thirst
--Up all night peeing (the kid who couldn't be potty trained because he slept so soundly)
--A faint or two which we wrote off to improper eating
--Eating everything in sight and skinny as a rail (turns out he lost 10% if his body weight) which we wrote off to being 13
--Nasty moods which we wrote off to being 13
--EXTREME fatigue which we wrote off to being 13

Glad to report he's back to his good old happy healthy self thanks to a little insulin here and there.

Becky

Heather(CA)
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I got remarried May 3rd 2003. A few days before my wedding I was running around with the boys doing errands. The first day I noticed that every time we went to a different store, Seth was saying "I have to go pee" After a few times I was like "Boy, what have you drinking? Slow down, I've got things to do":p (Thank goodness I said it in a teasing way) Then the next day, the same thing again. So, now I'm thinking, ok, somethings wrong, but he was acting fine. The next day, I got married. On Sun. I called my ex to tell him there was something wrong with Seth, so I would bring him the boys after I took Seth to the doc. He said "What! Nooo were going to the lake!" So I said it slower Theeeeeres something wroooong with Seth. Then Seth yells from over hearing in the other room..."I want to go to the lake!

Since I knew nothing about the possability of it being D, after some begging I let the ex take Seth to the lake...BUT, only after he PROMISED to take him to his reg. Ped. the next day.

Hubby and I leave for Maui, it was hard to reach the ex until Friday (Six days later) First thing out of my mouth was..."What did the doctor say???
"Well, um we've been really busy this week":eek: After I chewed him out he promised to take him in after baseball on Sat. Seth started throwing up at baseball, he threw up 6 times from the field to the car:mad: HIs bg was in the 300's at dx'd.

I got the call about 5pm Maui time. We were leaving the next day at noon. When I got home I packed a backpack and went straight to the Hosp. I was there form Sum. night at midnight until Tues. after dinner...

If you made it to the bottom, :D

hawkeyegirl
02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Our story sounds very similar to many of yours....

Our whole family came down with some sort of nasty virus. During Jack's recovery from the virus, he started drinking a lot and getting up in the night two or three times to pee. We took him into the doctor because his ears were hurting, and I asked the ped while we were there about the drinking and peeing. He said, "We see that a lot at this age. It's almost always behavioral. If you're thinking it's diabetes, that's very, very unlikely."

So we went on for another week, with the drinking, drinking, drinking. I called and spoke to the nurse. She asked how much he was drinking. Good grief. I don't keep track. So she told us to keep track over the weekend and call back on Monday. I called back on Monday and she said, "Oh. That IS a lot." Yeah. I'm not a moron. I know when my kid is drinking A LOT. So she said, Well, the first time we can get him in is next Tuesday. ANOTHER week. If I was smarter at that point, I would have insisted on getting him in that day, but stupidly, I agreed.

When we went in, they had Jack pee in a cup. The doctor came into the room, and he didn't have to say anything. His face said it all. They did a finger poke, and his sugar was something like 560. They sent us directly to the hospital where we stayed for two nights.

My heart broke that day, that horrible November 13, 2007, and sometimes I don't know if it will ever truly be repaired. Things are better now, of course, but when I come at Jack with a syringe and he cries, "Please don't hurt me, Mama!", it shatters all over again.

dqmomof3
02-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Right before Christmas, I noticed that Jayden's breath smelled a little odd to me. She has a lot of dental work and many fillings, so I figured she had another cavity or something...didn't think much about it at the moment. We got through Christmas with relatives, came back home, and I noticed that breath smell again. This time, I knew it was something I recognized but I wasn't quite sure what it was. Took me about 24 hours to figure it out...nail polish remover. Then I did an internet search for acetone breath in a child and diabetes was consisitently what came up. I read that the urine would show ketones if this was the case, so I went to Walgreen's and bought some Ketostix on the night of December 27th. The next morning, when Jayden woke up, I asked her to pee in a cup, and I dipped the urine. It measured "Large" on the bottle, and I knew then what we were dealing with. I called our FP, made an appointment for 4pm that day, went in, they dipped her urine, and then pricked her finger. The meter read "HI" twice, which meant over 600. The PA diagnosed her, then sent us to the local hospital for treatment. We were out in 24 hours and back home. Her A1C was 13.4, which meant this had been going on for quite a while. Once I put the pieces together, I realized that she had been symptomatic for at least six months. The endo's theory is that because Jayden is a competitive gymnast, all of that exercise masked her symptoms and allowed her to experience enough lower sugars to keep her ok. She never was sick. The ketone smell appeared during a three week break from gymnastics - first break she'd had since July.

liasmommy2000
02-22-2008, 10:40 AM
OMG, ours is a long story but Lia had been miserable for about three weeks before diagnosis. But since her main symptoms were extreme crankiness/separation anxiety and tummy aches, it took two trips to the doctors and a few phone calls before she was diagnosed. Looking back I can see other symptoms a few months before that even.

We had to take her to the lab for the blood draw after the second appt as that's how our doctor and insurance do it. They tried to get a urine sample at the doctor's office but Lia couldn't go (I know, go figure!). Took two days to get the results and the doctor's office called me as I was about to leave work that Friday afternoon around 2:30 and told me her lab results indicated juvenile diabetes and we needed to take her to the ER immediately. Lia was at school and I work almost an hour away. I had to call dh who at that time was about twenty minutes away and he flew out of work to get her and take her. I met them there.

Getting her admitted was not fun. The ER was packed that night for some reason. They didn't even have a little room with a curtain for her and many other people. So she was on a rolling bed in a corridor right by the ambulance entrance. They took blood and urine samples (oh so fun!) and we waited. Then they hooked her up to an iv and called the pediatrician on call (at that time Lia saw our family doctor and she refers her pediatric patients to another office of pediatricians when they are in the hospital). That pediatrician said he thought the care and training for pediatric diabetes patients was better at another local hospital so he wanted her transferred. Ok, we had to then wait for an ambulance and Lia was starving. They gave me some tickets for the cafeteria and told me I could get her food, but nothing too sugary. I figured cake and desserts were out but then was looking at the packages of salad dressing lol. Anyway we got her fed, she enjoyed the ambulance trip and then for some reason we had to go through the ER at the other hospital. Being fairly inexperienced with hosptials and ER's at that time I thought that was normal though extremely frustrating. They finally got her settled in a bed sometime after midnight. The next two days we received training etc. The pediatrician who ordered her transferred came in to see her the next day. He was livid with the hospital as she was supposed to be directly admitted to the second one and we shouldn't have had to go through the ER again. Wish I had known that!

Anyway that's our story. I could go into the months leading up to that, but I will spare you lol.

ETA-it was still quite a suprise to us. The last two days I started to wonder but for odd reasons I thought surely it couldn't be. We have no history of it in our family and I didn't even know what a meter was or understood what numbers were high/low etc. Totally clueless!

GaPeach
02-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Melissa was dx'd 01/03/2007. She had been throwing up all night (A stomach virus was making the rounds at church - so we thought it was our household's "turn". )The next morning she looked "grey", was very lethargic and began hallucinating. Thinking she was dehydrated, we took her to the hospital's minor emergency clinic for fluids.

In a matter of moments, the Dr. came in and said, "Your daughter IS dehydrated, however, we have a bigger problem..." Then he began to explain DKA, helicopter in route to transport her to children's hospital, imminent respiratory failure...

In retrospect, she was losing weight. We did not notice due to growth spurt. She was sneaking food to her room at night. She was peeing a lot at night. We didn't notice that because it was the Christmas holiday season. She was staying up late with older siblings. We were going to bed before her so we did not notice.

As parents, we feel real bad that we did not see the signals. Of course when our 8 yr old had an "accident" in bed last night, you can bet that we checked BG this morning for fasting #. (It was OK - for now.) Hopefully, there will not be a "next time".

Mama2H
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Long story short. Hailey had constant bladder infections for years. Presented as another bladder infection so we treated at home like we had been doing for a couple of years. The final week before dx she was VERY sick. Had an appt with her pedi for friday morning to get antibiotics since pedi and nurse felt that home care without them wasn't working this time. The morning of dx she woke up presenting like apendixis (sp?) so dh rushed her to the ER. Dx of Type 1 was a total shock and surprise, Hailey was in a coma for 2 days. I still have alot of guilt for not pressing the issue with her urologist and ped. In the years before her dx her urine was never checked for sugar. I am certain that her onset was years.

Sallysweets
02-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Andriella was d'xd 9 months ago...my mom and me started to notice that that she was always thirsty and was going to the bathroom a lot. One night I woke up and she was drinking out of the sink, my mom typed the symptoms into the computer and diabetes popped up so I called the ped. and made an appointment to have her checked. They did a urine test and she had 2,000 glucose in her urine. They set us up to meet with the endo the next day. When we got there they did a finger poke her bg was 284 and they told us she had type 1 diabetes. I was shocked even though I thought she might I didn't want to believe it, there is no history of it in our family. Anyway we went downstairs for education classes that day.

momtojess
02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Jess was just 11 mths old. She was extra cranky and had a stuffy nose. I noticed this on tues. I waited till friday to take her to the dr. He tested her for strep, and said she just had a virus, it should pass. If she wasnt better by monday make another appt.

By Saturday evening, she was vomitting brown stuff, her eyes were sunken and dark, and she looked like she has lost a ton of weight overnight. She was really listless. I called the ped, and the oncall told us to take her to the ER right away. At first they were thinking menigitis, but then they came in and said she had diabetes. She went to ICU and we didnt get to see her for 3 hours!! We spent 2 days in ICU, and then 4 days in the diabetes wing learning everything.

My dh was working 13 hrs away in MS (we were in OH). My mom went with me to the ER, but wasnt in the room when the dr told me. I thought I was gonna pass out. One of the nurses in ICU had a son with D and talked like it was no big deal, life gets easier, etc.. I remember how in the world can she act like it is no big deal.. now 6 yrs later, I understand.

patriot06
02-22-2008, 12:20 PM
My son had a serious bout with constipation the day before and so what did DM do----lots of apple juice and apple sauce--looking back i'm thankful it didn't kill him. He had stomach pains but kept telling me he thought he was constipated. By the end of the night i tried the enema and at first it didn't work. I was about to take him to the ER thinking maybe he had a blockage but then he vomitted and then he finally passed a large stool. He then proclaimed he felt "all better". The next morning he said it hurt when he peed so knowing that boys rarely get UTI i took him to the dr. They said no UTI but sugar in the urine. Then they did the finger stick and it was 198. I thought well it's not over 200 so no D. (Both my mom and sister had TI so i already knew the numbers) the next morning they said bring him in for a fasting bg. Once again 105 and once again we all breathed easy. The doctor told me to keep him away from sweets (no problem here because i was always careful about that) 3 weeks later i was told the pedi endo suggested a 2 hour GTT so we did that and since his fasting was 100 and no sugar in the urine we all breathed easy again. The only slightly minor thing was that he mentioned about 1 hour into the test his head felt "slimy" The doctor never called back that day with the results so once again we all breathed easy thinking no news is good news <<<<<wrong>>>>. The next day we were at an amusement park and just finished giving my son a huge elephant ear(probably 200 carbs worth) the phone rang and it was the doctor telling me we were to go to the pedi endo clinic whenever they called me. They still never called it diabetes. That was Dec 20, 2007. Finally on Dec 28 i received a call from the pedi endo telling me to bring my son in for a "visit" little did i know what i was about to hear. I arrived with all the kids in tow. They checked his sugar and it was 65. I couldn't help but laugh thinking "I'm in the wrong office" But.....the endo explained we caught it very early his A1c was 5.9. she said his sugar spike to 335 i hr after drinking the glucose and he started having sugar in his urine. 2 hrs later he was still over 200. The plan was we would just watch (check before every meal and bedtime) and wait to give the insulin. She said we were probably honeymooning. 2 weeks later we started the insulin and have increased it almost every week. Talk about shock and drowning in de-nile. It took unitl i saw his first high of 355 to believe it for myself. Looking back i can remember times of him complaining about his stomach hurting after eating a huge hot pretzel and or pizza and several severe bouts of constipation. But my oldest daughter has struggled with that all her life because she never has the feeling that she needs to go so i thought it was just hereditary. Hindsight is always 20/20 so try not to be overwhelmed with guilt if you missed it.

coconne3
02-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Even though it's almost verbatim what most of you have said....
My 3 year old had excessive drinking and peeing. (in fact, her preschool mentioned to me one day that I sent her with an empty juice box:)) but I didn't think anything of it. Then in January we went to the aquarium. She drank 30 oz of liquids in ~30" and I knew something was wrong. Denial is a wonderful thing, I'm an RN. I called my pedi and spoke to the nurse who wanted me to keep accurate count of her drinks over the weekend and call Monday. I was initially willing to do this but then went home and looked for more infrmation on the computer and found out a "yeast infection" was another classic sign. She had had a yeast infection in December that kept coming back. I called them back, demanded an appt that afternoon and in we went. Her sugar in the office was "hi" and then in the ER 794 with an Hcg a1c of 13+. We spent the next 3 days in the hospital both learning her care. she started a pump in Nov. 10m after diagnosis although we still have some high numbers everyone is adjusting. Looking back she hadn't gained any weight since her 3 year physical but she was always on the little side and that's what we attributed it to. she's gained 5-6lb since diagnosis.
Thanks for listening. Colleen

Abby-Dabby-Doo
02-22-2008, 01:12 PM
In June of 06 Abby started having severe tummy aches. So bad she'd be laying on the floor, panting, with a cold sweat, curled up in a little ball. She had an MRI done with a Pediatrician to rule out a appendicitis, because it was so odd in a child of her age to have a appendicitis. We had x-rays done and they said she had some constipation. Have her drink lots of fluids and add fiber to her diet. After a month of this not improving, the Pediatrician not doing anything else, I took her to my General Doctor. I think Doctors have a pact or something where they don't go against what the other one says. Without an x-ray just a tummy feel, he agreed and said drink lots of fluids and add fiber to the diet.
By this time I've seen two Dr's and Abby's got some relief but not much. These stomach aches were causing my daughter to come home from school, from daycare, from a friends house, leaving birthday parties early, swimming pool days, and so on. This wasn't NORMAL to me. All the mean time were forcing water on her.
By November, we get in to see a GI. He walks in the room and does a double take at Abby and states "I've never had a patient this young, and is she small for her age?" After an x-ray and blood work and 3 appointments with this guy I get the same advice- more fluids and fiber. After throwing a mini fit,:mad: telling him this can't be normal- something is wrong! He asks me what I'm afraid of- he's checked for all the bad stuff in the blood, such as cancers, and there is nothing there.
After 6 months, the two dearest people in my life (mother and DH) are thinking the doctors are right. I need to relax, and this will get better. My DH thinks I'm turning Abby into a hypochondriac, and a whiner because she complains at the littlest things. All this time were shoving water at Abby and she drinks it.
I took Abby to urgent care in November for a UTI, and the test is negative. Boy I'd like to know the sugar results of that now!!!!!!!!
After Christmas Abby starts wetting the bed night after night. So we take water away near bedtime now. I catch Abby stealing water from the bathtub spicket with her hair rinse cup:eek:. I'm on the internet at work researching tummy problems day in and day out.
In January, 7 months later!! I have her back at the Pediatrician because her legs hurt. Aching to the point that she won't walk- it doesn't happen all the time. She feels her legs, asks me if she's had a cold recently. A runny nose, and is pale, but not a cold. She doesn't find anything. It's a Thursday morning, I find out about the drinking a lot, and wetting the bed on the internet about diabetes. I call my husband and ask him to take her to the doctor (I've missed soooooooooooo much work with taking Abby home from stomach aches at school) and have them test for diabetes. His response is "where did I pull that test out of my a@@?". He's read about it on the internet and there is no mention of stomach aches in anything regarding D.:mad:Friday I take her home from daycare early for a stomach ache, she comes home early that night from watching a movie at a friend house because of her tummy.
Saturday morning it's my birthday, my husband let me sleep in, but I can hear Abby moaning on the couch that she doesn't feel good. I get out of bed, walk in the living room, tell my husband I'm taking a shower and taking Abby to the hospital and I'M NOT LEAVING UNTIL I FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER!!!!!!!! We have a discussion in the car of why I don't just take her to urgent care- I told him I want doctors, tests, IV's, whatever- but I'm not leaving without an answer- they're going to have to call security on me if they try to send us home. 30 minutes after walking in that hospital door she was dxd with D- a blood sugar of 698 and an A1C of 12.6.

Sorry for the novel!:cwds:

jmcole1
02-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I left my story on the other post about dx during vacations. I will add though - we were so clueless. My husband took our daughter to the hospital (about 30 min away) because I had a one and three year old and no family to take care of them. My husband tells me they took her blood and said come back in an hour. Didn't say what it could be. I'm thinking, maybe she's anemic. I nice little iron pill and she will be as good as new. We joke about this now - but during that hour wait my husband took her to 7-11 for a SLURPEE - the big one! Good thing they had already taken her blood. She was in the 600's at dx. All I rememeber is finally getting to the hospital to see her and being handed this giant grocery bag full of stuff. Here, this is your life now. Now were coming up on six years.

JC

Mom to: Lauren (15) dx on 4/27/02
Lindsay (9)
Shane (7)

MReinhardt
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, we thought Chell had a bladder infections. Called the Dr. the got her in, they said that she had a slight bladder infection. Looked at the paper hat the nurse had, asked what what does that me, urine glucose was 2000. She just stated that it was a little high, and asked me if I check Chell's sugars at home. Told her "why in the world woul I do that", she than stated "you should be checking her sugars twice a day" duh, why, she just said to start checking.

Got home, pulled out my Father in Laws metter, tested her sugars, it said 458. My Aunt was staying with me she is from Flordia, she told me to check Chell's sugars in the morning. Morning comes, before she ate, check them, this time we had a reading of 548. Rechecked with another metter, it read 599. I called the dr office, told them I had to meters with different readings, and what do they mean. They put me on hold then gave me to the nurse practicioner, gave the numbers to her, she put me on hold, pulled out Chell's chart, and last lab work, which the regular dr signed off on, then stated; I hate to tell you this over the phone, but your daughter has dibetes, can you bring her in now, bring the meters, and we will check those meters against ours.

Brought her in, Chells blood sugars at diagnoses were 548, this was May of 2004, lab work that the nurse pulled was Feburary of 2004 showing fasting sugars at 126, they should have been repeated.

From Sepember 2006-May 2004, I had Chell at the drs office 8 times, because she was complaing of severe stomach aches, paleness, headaches and just not feeling well. Diabetes Should have at least been diagnoses in February 1007. If not several months before that!

Momof4gr8kids
02-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I really think that diabetes manifests itself in so many different ways, and symptoms we notice that our children have can be so different from person to person, plus it's not the most common (type 1) so it's usually not the first thing thought of.

Julia had been wetting the bed on occasion, and she was waking up a lot at night. I had started working from 8 until midnight though, and thought it was because of that. We didn't typically eat high carb high GI so I think her body was able to keep up easier. Plus she has always been a nibbler. She isn't a very big eater.

So we went to Carl's JR for our son, Joey's B-day party, and she started drinking regular soda. This was a rare ocurance... I don't even typically buy diet. Within an hour of being there it was obvious that she had type 1 (My DH was dx'd at 6) so we made her start drinking diet, finished the party, took her home and tested on her dad's back up meter. She was HI. I went into shock. I tested over and over and over. I waited and tested some more, got dad's regular meter and tested some more, changed the bottle of strips, tested on both with the same drop of blood... Called my MIL, and finally just took her to the E.R.
By the time we got to the E.R. she had self corrected and was 130s. They tried sending her home with the dx of a bladder infection, they tried to discredit the home bg testing I had done. I knew better. I asked what her A1C was, and they hadn't checked it. I asked what her C-peptide was and they hadn't checked that either. The only thing they had done was a white blood cell count and a bgl. I insisted they admit her until I either have a good A1C in my hand, or something that proves that she doesn't have D. I also insisted they feed her, even though it was around 11 pm by this time. They let her pick, and luckily she made some pretty good choices that proved she had T1D. She spiked up into the 300's by 1am, and then it was obvious to everyone. While I dx'd her on her brother's B-day I do not count that as her dx date because I don't want to taint his B-Day further, and also the doctor didn't technically say she had D until the next morning during rounds....
We caught her D pretty quickly considering, she had a trace of ketone, and never lost any weight. Her honeymoon was very strong from the start, and lasted past the 1 yr dx mark.

MamaChrissa
02-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Just the "usual" peeing and drinking bit here. Now that I look back there was some lethargy and decreased appetite as well, but those were common enough for him. The docs say we caught it very early. He had only been showing signs for a week and his only ever known virus was 5 months previous to dx.

OSUMom
02-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I wasn't going to post, but I guess I will. Looking back the first sign was blurry vision then came a hypoglycemic episode where Dean passed out in the middle of the night when he was up going to the bathroom. He had started to go to the bathroom a ton and drinking a ton. I hadn't really noticed and he hadn't really informed me. At 18 he's out and about doing his own thing. You see he was graduating from high school and it was a very busy time. The day of graduation here, his left eyelid was all swollen, I don't know what was up with that but I wonder if it was somehow related to the diabetes.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/Lauriebugg/CWDgraduation.jpg

He also began a life-guarding job something he had always wanted to do (after diagnosis he had to quit this as we got everything under control). He was life guarding at Kings Island. So when he told me he was drinking a ton, I thought well he's out in the sun and of course you'll be thirsty. I had noticed he had started losing weight, but he would put me off. Finally from graduation photos he told me he had lost 20 pounds. That was the defining moment for me. Though no one was backing me, I insisted on going to the doctor and even prior to that having blood work done so we had it there at the appointment. At the appointment, the doctor looked at his the blood work paper as did I - "Diabetes" was written and tears filled my eyes. I was trying to be strong for Dean.

Believe or not, from there the doctor sent us home - no insulin no anything! Behind the scenes he was conferring with an endocrinologist and then he called us to go to the ER. At that point, we picked Dean up from his other restaurant job and off we went to the hospital to find his blood sugar over 1,000 and the learning curve began. :cwds: I hope you don't mind me posting the graduation photo. He's here with his grandma. It makes me teary looking at the picture, and look at that short hair- that's long gone now!!! :cwds::D

M&MMOM
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Max was diagnosed six years ago when he was 2 1/2. I was in the process of potty training and so when he kept wetting thru diapers I just thought, "He's getting too big for diapers." The week he was diagnosed, I called the pediatricians office every day saying something isn't right. He would wake up and eat and go right back to sleep. He was a limp noodle. They kept saying, "No fever??? Just keep watching him...He is so healthy, don't worry." Finally by Thursday night his breathing was erratic and my husband was out of town and I was freaked. We went to the ped's office which was open late that night. Still the ped had NO clue what was wrong. She nebbed him for his breathing (which I am sure made his BS even higher!) and then sent us to Children's with her hands in the air.

The nurse checking us in knew the minute she saw Max, and said he's in
DKA . He has diabetes.... I think his blood sugar was 1050!

Needless to say, I don't see that PED anymore but I do know since Max, that office has caught other kids quicker because of what we went thru!

Emmasmommy
02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Emma had been drinking like she had never had a drink in her life! She would drink all her milk and start drink her sisters milk and then on to whatever else she could get her little hands on! She could blow through a diaper before getting up from a nap and she had a number of yeast infections that just would not go away! I had taken Emma to the doctors a number of time and he would tell me that there was no way she had D for a number of reasons A- shes to young (12 months at that point) B- She would be alot sicker vomiting ext and the list that he came up with went on and on. On November 11th 2005 I took Emma in to the Doctor for a pre op (she also has club feet was was to be in the OR on Dec 5th) and once again I told him about everything that was going on and that I really thought she had D Once again I was told that I was nuts even though Her Hands and Feet were VARY BLUE he said that she had hyper sensitive vaines and if she had D she would be a lot sicker. The very next day Emma got up and she was grabbing at whatever she could get her hands on to drink and then she would vomit! Her whole body was now blue Head to Toe she looked like death. I took her into the ER where they also felt that she was WAY TO YOUNG to have D and wouldnt listen to me I had to Remove Emma from the ER bed and YELL that I was not letting them start the IV untill they had checked her sugar (They wanted an IV start ASAP because she was "extramly dehydrated and hypo thermic heating blankets and all!) after the Doc talked to the nurses they said to the lab tech that was taking blood "Check the babys sugar so we can shut the mother up and get to the bottem of what is really going on with this baby". Well next thing I knew everyone was gone and I was left sitting there until an ICU nurse came and got us to take us to the ICU and she then told me what was going on and that he sugar was 74 (1332ish).

Thats how it all started if only they would have listend to be months before that she wouldnt have had to get so sick!

Momof4gr8kids
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Laurie, Thanks for posting! You know, just cause Dean is at college doesn't mean that you're not one of us. You are, dear. Sad to say it, but it is true. I know you worry about Dean just as much as I worry about Julia. I don't think the stage you are at with Dean is easy either. I am really scared of young adulthood. Thanks for posting the pic, too.
Jamie

Boo
02-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Our Dx story is very similar to many others. My son was 8 at the time. It was spring, and the weather was getting warmer. Baseball season had started. In hindsight, we spent a good 2-3 weeks chalking up his symptoms (thirst and excessive urination) to the fact that he was more active and it was getting hot out. He was at school all day, and at home was pretty self-sufficient in the bathroom :p, so I suppose I wasn't as aware that it was as frequent as it was.

It started getting harder to ignore when he would need to leave in the middle of his baseball games to use the bathroom. On his way back to the dugout, he'd refill his huge water bottle. :rolleyes: Then, he started getting up at night to pee. We just thought that was due to the extra fluids during the evening games and practices. Eventually it was several times a night, and then, he started not making it to the toilet. (That was fun cleaning up several times a night!! Of course, he was half asleep and probably embarrassed by it, and kept insisting it wasn't him that left the pee trail :D)

Andy was scheduled to go to an 2 week (overnight) camp the following month (where there are no bathrooms inside the cabins). I told my husband that I was making a doctor's appointment for him to rule out anything serious, and that we couldn't send him to camp if he continued peeing like that every night. My husband thought we just needed to limit the liquids after dinner, but I knew we couldn't take that away from him during an evening baseball game in 80 degree weather when he is sweating and complaining of being thirsty. My husband (who is great, by the way) scoffed at me when I said it could be diabetes. I kind of thought I was being a ridiculous worry wort too. I have no clue how I even knew that diabetes was a possibility!?

Imagine our surprise!

twodoor2
02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Saturday morning it's my birthday, my husband let me sleep in, but I can hear Abby moaning on the couch that she doesn't feel good. I get out of bed, walk in the living room, tell my husband I'm taking a shower and taking Abby to the hospital and I'M NOT LEAVING UNTIL I FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER!!!!!!!! We have a discussion in the car of why I don't just take her to urgent care- I told him I want doctors, tests, IV's, whatever- but I'm not leaving without an answer- they're going to have to call security on me if they try to send us home. 30 minutes after walking in that hospital door she was dxd with D- a blood sugar of 698 and an A1C of 12.6.

Sorry for the novel!:cwds:

OMG Lanae, that's horrible. It just goes to show you how many clueless people there are. Diabetes is also one of the easiest things to diagnose, especially when it's full blown. Just look at the blood sugar!!

Elizabeth was urninating and drinking a lot. I had no clue those were typical diabetes symtoms. We were totally ignorant about diabetes, both types. I just thought she had a small bladder, but when she started urinating 20 times a day, and drinking every second, I really got worried, coupled with the fact that she had a yeast infection (something unheard of in a 4 year old girl). She was also acting really weird - going into huge temper tantrums for no reason. It was bizarre.

I called her pediatrician, explained the symptoms, and the doctor wanted to see her immediately. I simply thought it was a bladder infection, the doctor would give us antibiotics and we would be on our way back home. I even told my husband that as I left the house that morning to take her to the doctor.

As soon as we came in,the absolute first thing the pediatrician did was check the urine, and her blood. When the number 596 showed up on the blood meter, and again, here I am stupid and clueless, I didn't react. I didn't know what the 596 meant or measured, it was just a number to me. I didn't even know what they were looking for in the blood or urine.

When the nurse and pediatrician both saw that number, they both turned to each other with the most serious and grave look. I was more terrified by their look than the number on the meter. When I saw that look they gave, I knew it was bad, and tears started to well up in my eyes. The diagnosis was instant, unlike what poor Lanae had to go through. The pediatrician then told me to sit down, and handed me a box of kleenex, "Your daughter is a diabetic. We're admitting her to the hospital right away." Needless to say, we didn't go home for five days. It was the worst week of my life. I kept hoping I was in a bad dream. It was only last October, but it seems years ago now.

tandjjt
02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I wrote this for an article about Tyler last fall:

RIDING THE WAVE
Tyler’s Story of Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis
By his Mom

A true lover of baseball, Tyler was RIDING HIGH in the summer of 2005 when he was playing second base in the county baseball tournament and turned an unassisted triple play. The crowd went wild, he got a spot in the local newspaper and then he celebrated his 8th birthday at Turner field in Atlanta watching his favorite major league team, the Braves, play ball.

Little did we know how much his life would change within the next year.

Fast forward to baseball season, 2006, and the picture was quite different. Tyler was experiencing unpredictable mood swings, irritability, a lack of energy and trouble concentrating. As parents, we thought he was just going through a phase and cracked down on him in an effort to get him to “straighten up”.

School started in early August and more issues surfaced. He began to get up several times through the night to use the bathroom. We thought he was drinking too much water at night or perhaps he was nervous about school but when the problem escalated, we decided to take him to the doctor.

I knew that frequent urination could be a symptom of Type 1 diabetes, but never dreamed that he could really have that problem. Upon arrival at the doctor’s office, a urine sample was taken and we were told that there was such a large amount of glucose in the specimen that the machine couldn’t adequately measure it. We were admitted to our local ER for more testing and the diagnosis was confirmed; Tyler has Type 1 diabetes.

We had to make a decision on where to go for treatment and we chose to go to Children’s hospital. We made the trip from Athens to Birmingham, by ambulance, that very same night.

Madisonsmom
02-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Madison had many of the same things as everyone else. She started having problems in May of 2007. Of course I chalked most of it up to summer time. As time went on she drank so much more and spent somuch time in teh bathroom.
I can recall being at the mall she wentto the bathroom in JCpenny and we walked out and into the Disney store not even 5 minutes later she said she had to go again. I was like ok wait I need to get this stuff well she went all over the floor and tons. I was so mad because I thought what did she do in the bathroom 5 minutes ago. So fast forward a few weeks and she is wetting her bed all the time.
Take her to teh doctor said she has a yeast infection so we treat it. Then afterthat she seems to be eating everything in site but starts losing weight.
Goes to the doctor two more times he says nothings wrong she is just growing.

She starts school and things go down hill she is home at least once a week with tummy problems. Throwing up was awful. I could not figure out why she kept getting these stomach viruses.
Then at the start of October I have had enough and take her back to the dr. He tells me he thinks she is anorexic and making herself sick. I asked him to please do blood work check for anything.
So he does one for thryoid because we have a big family history. Comes back nothing wrong. So now i am just pissed because i start thinking she is making herself get sick.
Well October 9 somes she is home again but very sick. The doctor takes blood again and I ask him please check her for diabtes as I had been online all night and think this could be it. He refuses said that is not what is wrong. Tells me go get her protein drinks and increas her calories so force her to eat or drink as much as you can get in her.
So I do this go to the store fnd things with the most calories, So the next day i stuff her with protein drinks, ice cream soda anything i could get down her. Well it all came back in a short time.
She then took a nap and when i woke her up she was slurring her words and i picked her up and off to the ER.
The first thing I had them do was a blood sugar test.
I still see the doctor running down the hallway and seeing me and saying its diabetes and she is in trouble. She was in severe DKA as they said.
She was taken by ambulance to Childrens in Dallas and the rest is history.

Crazy thing is I wonder to this day what would have happen if I had notgiven her all those CARBS for two days.
Sorry that was so long

taximom
02-22-2008, 05:20 PM
After reading all these posts, I cannot believe how many pediatricians still have NO CLUE about the symptoms for Diabetes! :mad::mad: All they have to do is a simple blood test! It's infuriating that they let these kids get so sick before they are dx'd and sooo scary.

Madisonsmom
02-22-2008, 06:00 PM
After reading all these posts, I cannot believe how many pediatricians still have NO CLUE about the symptoms for Diabetes! :mad::mad: All they have to do is a simple blood test! It's infuriating that they let these kids get so sick before they are dx'd and sooo scary.

I so agree here. I am still shocked that our Dr was so quick to say Madison was anorexic.

vettechmomof2
02-22-2008, 06:23 PM
I will try and make this short.;)
1 year prior to diagnosis Lil was having behavioral issues where if she did not eat every 2 hours she would have outbursts.Horrible bags under her eyes that would come and go. went to the doc, did full bloodwork of every known sorce. no problems at that time. it continued but if kept fed every 2 hours wasn't to uncontrollable. had to pull over sometimes to feed her something though. it was clockwork.
had a high fever virus for 8 days in Jan. her grandfather had a stroke and developed epilepsy and was in a drug induced coma for 3 weeks. we were taking care of my inlaws dog and there house for them for almost 2 weeks.
june: major flood, lost house.
moved in with my parents and my hubbie had to stay with my neighbors.
august: starting drinking really heavy. all the time. crying if she couldn't get more water. it was summer and we exercise a lot so I put it to that. had some accidents but after the stress of the flood and not sleeping in a bed(her and I slept in recliners for 5 months) I put it off to that.
her birthday. same thing.
I was traveling back up to my neighbors every weekend and leaving the kids with my parents trying to salvage items from the house.
she was having major outbursts for my parents but if fed not to bad. end of august we came up to visit hubby and go to the town fair. she had an accident in the car during a 20 minute drive. never happend before. she couldn't walk the whole fair, never happend before.
sept. more drinking, more accidents, more outbursts. not wanting to exercise with me anymore. I had to carry her home on a 5 mile walk with my son's stroller and the dog.:eek:
she lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. you could count all of her vertebra.
now, through all of this I was updating our doc. at first we were putting it off to stress from the flood. then i called and told them what was happening and what I thought.I work with animals so had an idea(but really I knew was just in denial). Sept. 26,2006 went in for an appointment Monday. finger stick and 567. the nurse said she would tell the doc and call the hospital. I said I would explain it to hubby as he did not know. he was with us and turned green(yep. passed out) so I calmy told my daughter to go get the doc as I could not lower my hubby to the floor. too small of a space.
in the hospital at 5:00pm Monday and Wednesday 9:00am we were out.
That is our life. no DKA luckily as I was in denial and knew it was diabetes but did not really click that it was.
I had friends growing up with type 1.no family though.
that is our story.
Allene

vettechmomof2
02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
august: starting drinking really heavy. all the time. crying if she couldn't get more water. it was summer and we exercise a lot so I put it to that. had some accidents but after the stress of the flood and not sleeping in a bed(her and I slept in recliners for 5 months) I put it off to that.

Allene

just noticed the way I wrote this. she was drinking water very heavy. I was not drinking heavy at the time. just so we are clear.:cool:
Allene

MamaC
02-22-2008, 06:32 PM

It is infuritating that some diagnoses take so long and that diabeyes especially is not automatically suspected more often. On the other hand...

Sometimes I feel so bad for Tom's and Jenn's pediatrician. After we finally had Jenn tested for celiac ("That's so rare!") and it came back positive, the ped called me and told me the news. Even though I already knew it in my heart, I was crushed. Apparently obviously so, because she called me back, on a Friday night, to check on ME.

Fast forward 12 years, and Tom and I are sitting in her exam room with her saying she'll send him down for bloodwork but she doesn't think it's anything to worry about. I told her we would come in the next morning for the lab work because Tom was so tired. She decided to have the nurse do a fingerstick on the way out, and I saw the nurse take it over to show her the reading (HI). "Um, Mom, why don't you just stop at the lab on the way home?" So we did. An hour later she had to call me to have us go to the ER ASAP. I knew it was killing her to have to diagnose my other kid with a lifelong disease.

Imagine my surprise the next day to see that Tom's endo was to be the same doc who had told me 3 months before Jenn was dx'ed with celiac, "Celiac is so rare! I'm sure that's not it." (Granted gastro is not her speciality.) She remembered saying that all those years earlier.

These two wonderful women have walked us through it all. The ped for the last 16 years, and the endo for the last 2. The ped has seen me cry in frustration over my daughter's newfound stubborn inability to follow her diet, and the endo has joined me in the utter confusion of why Tom's D behaves the way it does.

Even better, the ped chewed my daughter a new one the last time she saw her celiac numbers. How have we managed to hang on to the same two HMO doctors for 18 years?

Everytime my husband changes employers, I have insisted that he go with someone who offers our HMO because I cannot imagine traveling these paths unescorted.

All that said, I would if course happily bid them adieu if celiac and diabetes were to be miraculously eradicated!

Becky

Madisonsmom
02-22-2008, 06:32 PM
just noticed the way I wrote this. she was drinking water very heavy. I was not drinking heavy at the time. just so we are clear.:cool:
Allene

OK that is funny

Daniel's Mom 1993
02-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Daniel had started losing weight over the summer of 2007 but he had football and we camped alot and it was very hot so we did not notice the excessive thirst just thought put it to all the activity but when by Aug he had lost 15 lbs - you could see every bone in his body - I knew something was wrong but never thought of D until my husband was talking to a friend they said weight loss could be D or Anorexia - I knew what he ate which was everything! but still thought "my son cannot have diabetes " that could not possibly happen to us - those things only happen to someone else not us! Dh and I were supposed to be going with a group of friends on a motorcycle trip to Helen GA over Labor day and Daniel was staying with a friend - I was talking to his friends mother and told her I had made a dr appointment for Daniel on Tues after Labor day because of his wieght loss and just wanted to be sure everything was ok - people kept telling me he was having a growth spurt - well I also mentioned D had been mentioned to us and she being an RN said to ease your mind get your MIL who is T2 to test him - we did and saw HI 3 times before we saw 597 - I called my friend back and another RN I know and they both said he needs to be seen tomorrow at the latest - I still was concerned so I called his Pedi office and they said go the Vanderbilt ER immediately. This was Aug 28,2007- we had a long night but I now know how lucky we were to have someone tell me to test him and after hearing the stories of Pedi ingnoring the signs I am blessed to have that sent us to ER with just my Hi readings - Daniel's A1C was 14 at dx but no DKA thankfully. We spent the night in hospital then they dischrged us to go to Endo office directly after discharge.
We started Lantus and Novalog that day - daniel gave himself the 2nd shot he ever got and is now ready for the pump - hopefully the Omnipod soon.

Ryans-Rock
02-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Right before Christmas I had noticed that my son was losing weight. I thought ok, he's 12 years old it's time for a growing spurt and put it off to that. The next day I went shopping and bought him some new jeans since his was to big. I had already been getting on to him for getting up ALL night long to get a drink and going to the bathroom. (I told him if he would stop drinking so much at night then he wouldn't be going to the bathroom all night long) (YES I FELT LIKE A HEAL AFTER DX) 2 weeks later i noticed his new jeans no longer fit. Soooo, off to the store for new jeans again. Two weeks later same thing. I thought ok, he's not doing sports so why all the weight loss? Well, a few days later my daughter had told me that my son said he had been falling asleep in most of his classes. (thinking about well, if he wasn't up all night maybe he would get more sleep) (I know felt like a heal) Then one day my son comes home and asks me what it means when you see stars? Am I dehydrated or dizzy? He said he had seen stars 3 different times that day. I called the doctor and got him in the next morning.......and.......here we are. The doctor told us we where real close to the next stage which was throwing up and the Hospital.

mom2kenny
02-22-2008, 07:37 PM
It was probably in may of 2006, the school kept calling me after kenny would have gym class and tell me that he was feeling shaky(2-3 times per week) His dads bs will drop low if he doeant eat, so i thought maybe that was it. He seemed ok near the end of may, except he was drinking and peeing all day and night. I kept telling him he wouldnt have to go so much if he would quit drinking so much.(felt stupid for that comment later) We planned to go to the movies and dinner for his 12th b-day on a sat,(his b-day was on sunday) but he was not feeling well and was nauseated, so he kept asking if we could go to a later movie. We thought he must have the flu. That night at midnight he was dxd just minutes into his 12th b-day(dka) Really weird that he was dx'd at that time as he was born at 12:01 exactly 12 years before.

liasmommy2000
02-22-2008, 07:42 PM
I so agree here. I am still shocked that our Dr was so quick to say Madison was anorexic.

I was told Lia's tummy aches and crying were due to anxiety (delayed reaction to starting school and not seeing grandma everyday is what the dox thought) and to take her to a counselor. That was the 1st doctor appt. I called a week or so later to talk to the doctor and was told the same thing. It wasn't until I called a few days after that and told them they had better make an appointment as I was bringing her in again as I just knew it was something more than anxiety for goodness sakes. When I took her in that time they finally decided maybe they should do a blood draw and test for different things.

Laurie
02-22-2008, 08:39 PM
For months, my in-laws had planned to take my son with them on a 6 week trip to Europe. We went to Atlanta in early August of '07 to drop him off. While we were there, he started getting up in the night to pee. He left for Europe on Aug 28. His grandparents rented a car and they drove through Italy, Germany and France. Of course, Dylan drank massive quantities of bottled water and peed and peed and peed. They just gave him bottles to pee in so that they wouldn't have to stop every 5 minutes. He also ate more food than the two of them put together. Over all, Dylan had a good trip, but there were times that he didn't feel well.

We returned to Atlanta to pick up Dylan in late October. My in-laws joked about how much Dylan could eat, drink, and pee. On our 10 hour drive home, we realized just how bad it was. He could barely go a half our without desperately needing to pee.

So, Dylan has missed the first 8 weeks of school. He is a smart child and the principal and counselor had no problems with us wanting to pull him out of school to go to Europe. They were sure that he would slide right back into school with no problems. He didn't.

He just couldn't get back into the swing of things. When I had my first parent/teacher conference a few weeks after his return, the teacher said "Is Dylan an underachiever?" I didn't know what to say.

He brought home his first C's on his report card ever, and I just didn't know what to do. Last year, he almost had a C in math and we knew it was due to speeding through his homework so he could read. We grounded him from the computer until the grades were up, and, boom, he brought up his grades, it was no big deal.

This was different. He had two C's, and he just wasn't keeping up with his school work. He was making bad grades because he couldn't do the work! I would help him with homework and I could tell that his brain was fumbling over all the information. In a months time, he hadn't even read 1 book! Not one! Very unusual!

I was wondering if we had made a huge mistake letting him go to Europe.

Of course, he was getting up every single night to pee and get a drink of water (sometimes several times a night). One night he just sat up in his top bunk and threw up all over everything. It was a huge mess! My husband told him to get a big drink of water, and I followed him into the kitchen. He drank a large glass and immediately threw up what seemed like a gallon of water onto the floor. He felt ok in the morning, so we did nothing.

The symptoms continued, and he became thinner and more irrational. He would cry easily. He had constant heartburn, and very painful canker sores in his mouth. His skin was chapped and very dry. He was eating massive quantities of food, more than what a normal adult would eat, and yet he was so thin. And his personality was just...different. Where was the son I knew before he went to Europe? This child was just so changed!

On November 29th, Dylan attended a chess tournament with his GATE class. During the lunch break, he ate a few bites and then threw up all over. He seemed to feel ok, so no one bothered to called me. He continued to play chess, winning 4 out of the 5 games he played (amazingly!). The last game was a stale mate. He came home and told me about throwing up. And he threw up several more times after he got home. He was very hungry, but was convinced that he needed pizza. We had eaten pizza the day before. He was completely irrational about it. He kept telling me that he HAD to have pizza. I kept telling him that we were not getting pizza and he just kept asking me where we could get pizza.

I would ask him if he felt sick, and he would say no, but he was lethargic, and could only just lay on the couch with a blanket over his head. I kept checking him for a fever, but there was none. He looked terrible. His skin was pale gray and he had dark circles around his eyes. His hands were bright red, though. It was very noticeable. At this point, I noticed that he was starting to have labored breathing. I also realized that his breath smelled funny. I kept asking him to breathe on my face, so I could figure out the smell.

I started looking online for symptoms involving strange smelling breath. That led me to reading about a fruity odor on the breath, which led me to DKA. Ah, well, obviously that was not it. My son doesn't have Diabetes. Move on, please. So what if his symptoms matched DKA? He doesn't have Diabetes!!!! But, every time I googled his symptoms, DKA was always the top match.

I called our insurance's health line. I talked with the nurse. I can't remember just what I told her, but she never came up with the idea that he had Diabetes. She just said keep an eye on him.

Dylan had been telling me that I needed to make an appointment for him to see the doctor. He knew that something was seriously wrong and wanted me to take him in. I made an appointment for him to go to the doctor on Fri. (two days away). I figured we could test for Diabetes on the off chance that it was that. But, at the same time, I knew that if it was Diabetes, we'd never make it that long, since he was throwing up already, which was a sign of severe DKA.

Obviously, I was able to intellectually grasp the concept of Diabetes, but I was completely unable to believe that this was what my son was actually suffering from. I knew he didn't have Diabetes. I knew that if we took him to the ER, we'd laugh at ourselves for getting all anxious over some silly thing that wasn't Diabetes. My husband discouraged me from taking him to the ER, pointing out that I had wasted $50 when I took my daughter to the ER for hitting her head on the floor. She momentarily lost consciousness and I decided to take her in. She was absolutely fine. We don't do the ER almost ever.

As the night wore on, my son breathed heavier and became more lethargic. I didn't want him to be alone in his bed, so I slept next to him on our double futon. His hands were still bright red. He couldn't sleep due to his labored breathing. Finally, I woke my husband at 2:00 AM and told him that he just couldn't breathe. Dh took a shower (!) and Dylan got dressed. My other children were asleep and had school that morning, so I stayed home. As they walked out the door, I told Dylan not to worry, that it was probably no big deal (serious denial).

They drove the 1/2 hour to the Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock. During the drive, my husband knew that it had to be Diabetes. Upon arrival, my husband mentioned some of the symptoms, and, since Dylan was struggling to breathe, they acted quickly. They had his blood tested, and an IV in, and a diagnosis within 15 minutes. He had an A1C of over 14 (that is as high as the test went).

My husband called me and simply said "It is Diabetes." I uttered a one word response that probably isn't allowed on this forum. After talking for a minute, I hung up and started shaking and crying.

My son was put in PICU for a day and a half and then we started training for the next 2 and a half days.

In retrospect, I now know that my son was very near death, and we were responsible. When he was struggling to breathe, we waited. My husband showered. We drove the 1/2 hour. The poor child should have been life flighted. We very nearly killed our poor son due to our inability to believe that he could have Diabetes.

kyleesmom
02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
I have to warn you, its long. There were a lot of screw ups along the way to her diagnosis.

My husband and I had gone out of town for the weekend and Kylee was staying with my parents, who were in the process of painting a "getaway" house they had just finished remodeling. Kylee would help my mom paint for 20 minutes, then go sleep for 2 hours. She was really whiney and my parents kept telling her to quit being so lazy and that if she would get up and do something, she wouldnt be so tired. She also kept turning the heat up, saying she was cold. My parents thought she was coming down with the flu by the second day, and were giving her Gatorade to drink and soup to eat. We got home Sunday evening and I went to pick Kylee up, she was pale and laying on the couch, and my mom said she wouldnt eat anything, just drink. I took her home, and she went straight to bed, wouldnt get up for dinner or anything. I assumed the flu too. About 3 that morning, she threw up. She came and got me and told me what had happened, I got up, made sure she was ok and told her to go back to bed. I got up a few hours later to shower and get ready for work, Kylee was still sleeping, she was pale, so I figured I would just let her stay home that day. My husband was off so it wasnt a big deal. Soon after I got out of the shower she came and told me her head really hurt and that the light was too bright. So I started thinking migrane, my husband gets them and has the same symptoms. I got her some Tylenol and a glass of water and gave them to her and she dropped the Tylenol into the water. I asked her why she did it, and she had no idea what she had even done. I knew then that something was really wrong. Within 20 minutes she had started to turn a weird purpley flushed color and was really confused. We live in the middle of nowhere, our clinic wasnt open yet and it takes about an hour to get a doctor in the ER, so I decided to take to the town an hour away and be at the clinic just as it opened. I was already thinking diabetes and my husband told me to make sure that they checked her blood sugar. I called work to let them know I wasnt coming in and we left. She slept the whole way there and had started to do this weird sigh thing sometimes when she breathed. I got her into the clinic and they had her in a room within 10 minutes. The nurse comes in and I tell her that I want them to check her blood sugar, she makes a note of it, then takes her temp, which by this time was 99 something and leaves. The doctor comes in, says I see she has a fever, lets check her throat. Kylee has big tonsils and they have funny markings on them, but as soon as he sees them he says he thinks shes got strep. I told him they always look like that and she hasnt said her throat hurts and tell him I would like her to be checked for diabetes. He tells me again that he thinks shes got strep, so they are going to do a rapid strep test on her. She is totally out of it and freezing on the exam table and I told him Ive never seen strep do this to anyone. The rapid strep test comes back negative, so he decides to do some UAs and a few labs and do the longer strep test. I ask him again to please check her for diabetes and he says he can add that to the labs. So I get Kylee off the exam table and into the bathroom somehow, and then she suddenly becomes wide awake and insists I leave while she uses the bathroom, so I did. They start running the urine tests while getting ready to draw blood, and its all in the same room, so we are standing right there when I hear the nurse in the room make an odd noise. The doctor is also in there and walks over to look over the nurses shoulder and says hmm and looks at me, then tells the woman drawing Kylee's blood to do a finger stick while she is there. It reads 574. The doctor looked at me, said "Well, I guess we know what her diagnosis is" and sends us back to the exam room to wait for him. Kylee is out of it again and falls asleep as soon as she gets on the exam table. I called my husband, and even though I was totally expecting to hear it, I was bawling. The doctor comes back with some handouts and a sample pen of 70/30 Novolog, told me I would need to give her 7 units int he morning and 3 at night, or something like that, and says that I will need to contact a nutritionist and an endocrinologist, but he will have to write a referral for that, so wait to call them until that afternoon after he had made the call. He gave me a prescription for a meter and strips and one for some more 70/30 insulin, told me to give her something to eat from this list of foods and give her some insulin and he sent us home. Never checked ketones or anything else. While he is in there talking to me, the sighing thing shes doing while she is breathing is becoming a lot more regular and he asked me why she was doing that. I told him I didnt know, she had been doing it off and on since that morning. My parents live in the town where we were, so I took her to their house to give her some food and a shot. I had never done a shot before and so really nervous, but I did it anyway. I worked in a nursing home for awhile and had seen insulin given in the arm, so thats where I did it since the doctor hadnt told me anything about where to do it. She ate about two bites of oatmeal in half an hour and I stopped pushing it. I put her in the car and drove the hour home. She slept the whole way home, but had also started the weird sigh with every breath. It was so rythmic, if she didnt do it I actually would check to see if she was breathing. I dropped her off at home with my husband and left to get her prescriptions filled. While I was waiting at the pharmacy, the doctor called my cell phone and said he had just spoken to the endo and that they wanted her brought back to their clinic for more labs and then she would need to be taken to Reno(3 hours away) and admitted. I told him we would be there as soon as we could, and left to go get her. As I was driving home, he called again and said that we would be transporting her by ambulance to Reno and I lost it then. I told him I would call him back when I got home so my husband could talk to him because I wasnt totally sure I could. As I was pulling into the driveway my phone rang again. It was the doctor saying there was another change and we were to take her to our ER and they would Life Flight her to Reno. I stumbled inside where my husband was trying to get Kylee to stand up so they could go get in the car. He was very concerned about her breathing and had decided to take her to the ER himself. I told him what was going on and we got her to the car and took her to the ER. They wouldnt fly her out until she had 2 bags of saline in her, and of course couldnt get any IVs started. The doctor came in and started explaining that she was in very serious condition and was in DKA and told me then that we never should have been allowed to go home. She became unresponsive soon after we got there and would groan if you rubbed you knuckles really hard on her chest. After 4 hours, she was finally stable enough to transport. She slept most of the next two days, ended up spending 5 days in the PICU because they couldnt get her potassium up, then another 2 days in a regular room and here we are now. She remembers nothing until about day 4. I went to high school with the flight nurse from the helicopter she was flown out on and she told me just before Christmas that things got scary just before they got into Reno. They had the paddles out and where ready to shock her. The doctor said that giving her Gatorade over the weekend had probably saved her. Her electrolytes and potassium and all that stuff was so low, he said he couldnt imagine what would have happened if she hadnt drank it.

Looking back, there were lots of signs we just never recognized. The crabbiness, loss of appetite, sleeping all the time, headaches, weightloss. We attributed most of it to the fact that she is 10 and a kid. The drinking and peeing never really struck us because Kylee has ALWAYS drank a lot(2 gallons a day when she was 3). I will never ever forget that breathing though and truly hope I never hear it again.

ROVERT81402
02-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Trevor started wetting the bed. That's why I decided to take him to the ped. I didn't think anything of him being excessively thirsty, because it was in the middle of summer. It was 2 weeks after school started, and I thought he was just having anxiety, or maybe even a bladder infection. So, I called the doc, he told me to bring him in right away, which scared me a bit, when we got there, they checked his BG 3 or 4 different times with as many meters. The ped pulled me into another room, and told me that his BG was 600 and that I needed to get him to the hospital ASAP.
This was the day after he raced his four-wheeler for a whole hour. I remeber when he came off the track, he had to pee sooo bad, he almost didn't get his gear off! When he was in the hospital, and they had the IV's hooked to him, his only concern was, how he was going to race with these "things" hanging out of his amrs. He thought they had to stay in there.

Mom2Deacon
02-23-2008, 09:57 AM
I caught Deacon's diabetes very early. None of my other sons have diabetes but I know the signs because my great grandfather and my grandmother had diabetes. Looking back the first sign showed up on Christmas Eve '06. Deacon had a very rich dessert and threw it up about an hour later. He threw up a few more times that night. Whenever he got dessert, which is rare, he would throw it up. Deacon has a very calm, accepting personality. Out of nowhere, he was exhibiting characteristics of the terrible two's. But he was also 2 years old. He was drinking more but nothing alarming. I chalked it up to living in Texas. He was also not as hungry as before. Deacon kept getting a cold. I chalked that up to it being a harsh flu season.

Fast forward to March 14, 2007. I decided to take Deacon to the doctor because he was obviously sick and needed to be on antibiotics. Imagine my surprise when the doctor said he has pneumonia. She said she had been seeing a lot of cases because of the flu season. In hindsight, I am grateful that he was diagnosed with pneumonia because he was given steroids. Steroids cause blood sugars to go crazy and that made the small symptoms I was seeing to explode. That night, I had Deacon in bed with me and he kept asking for more to drink. I would give him more hoping he would go to sleep. As I was giving him the 4th sippy, I thought to myself he is exhibiting symptoms of diabetes. He and I finally slept, and I woke up to a wet bed.

His demanding drinks increased through Saturday the 17th. I swear that if I had been able to get more sleep, I would have caught it all a day sooner. Anyway, he was going through diaper after diaper that day. He was drinking three 16 oz. sippies an hour. I took him with me to shop and by the time we got out of the store, he was soaking wet again. Later that evening, I was able to sit by myself and relax, and the nagging question about diabetes made me look up the symptoms on the web. It wasn't reading about the drinking and constant urinating that screamed diabetes at me. It was seeing that irritability and vomiting were also symptoms. I realized that I have been seeing signs of it for a few months now.

I told my husband to call urgent care and get the referral for the ER since it was a weekend. The doctor who returned the call said it was nothing to be concerned about. Kids who are sick will drink more. But he was going to give us the referral anyway. I was on the floor getting Deacon ready to go to the hospital when my husband told me what the doctor said. I could tell he was waffling about taking Deacon to the ER and I said, "Deacon has diabetes and he needs to go to the ER." DH said, "How do you know?" I said, "He has been drinking uncontrollably and we have gone through more than half a pack of diapers these past few days. Deacon has been irritable and it also explains why he throws up after dessert. He has diabetes." My husband said, "How is it diabetes?" Me again, "I do not know why diabetes causes these symptoms but it does. Take him to the ER." DH called me about an hour later and said that they took Deacon's blood sugar and it was 282. He was waiting for them to take him back to the ER beds. By then it was close to 10 and I woke up our other kids and went to swap places with my husband. I was awake all that night watching them try to get an IV into Deacon and seeing his number go up to 364.

I was horrified that his number was going that high. The doctor who came in told me I caught Deacon's diabetes early. That they normally do not see kids until the kids are really really sick. She said that Deacon's numbers are not that high. His one month average was 217 and his A1c was 9.1. So it was confirmed that this was happening for at least 3 months.

So, now we are coming up on our 1 year anniversary. We are on Lantus and Novolog. Deacon is doing really well. I figure if any of my others are going to get diabetes, I will be catching them early too.

--Sara

MySweethearts
02-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi Abacobaby,

It sounds like you have a good doctor. My son went down hill pretty fast in a couple of weeks. But, he threw up alot before being dx'd, and he still does if he gets ketones. In the training class I went to after he was dx'd, there some parents of a little girl that said they noticed something was off after she wet the bed.

brownkkeb
02-23-2008, 11:29 AM
as many of you - ds was drinking and peeing constantly, pale, cranky. Called the pediatrician, they asked how much he'd been drinking, and since I had tracked it the day before, I told them 90 oz. For a three year old, that's a ton! They made an appt for me that day. Took him in, nurse practitioner said, he seems healthy, hasn't lost weight, maybe it's just a phase, or heat of summer etc., but do you think he'll pee in a cup? I'm thinking, no problem, he peed before we left home, he peed as soon as we got here... he can go again without a problem. They came back a few minutes later and asked if he had touched the sterile cup. My reply was that I had washed my hands before and after holding it for him, and he never touched it. She seemed shocked that there was actually sugar in his urine and that she had missed the signs. I honestly think she was more surprised than I was. Off we went to the ER at Children's. (BTW, we can't even drive the half hour to the hospital without having to find a place for him to pee...) Staff at Children's did a finger stick, and meter reads >500. I ask what that means, even though I know the numbers. She replies that the meters aren't always accurate. ER lab numbers read >700. Final lab number was 867. Luckily for him, he really wasn't as sick as so many of you here. They were able to give him some insulin and we went home for the night, to return the following morning for education and our "shopping bag" full of stuff for our new life.....

Mom2Deacon
02-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Deacon was in the hospital for 6 days. He was there that long because he was dehydrated and also because they had to get the right insulin. They were first using NPH but then they switched him to Lantus.

--Sara

maddiesdad
02-24-2008, 12:21 AM
wow, reading all of these posts brings it all back. The last Saturday in October we went to a birthday party at a corn maze and Madison was a little blah at the beginning and towards the end her friends had to piggy back her out of there because she was not feeling well at all and couldn't walk. We went home and she wanted to go back to the party. She didn't have a fever and she said she was just thirsty. She drank 4 huge glasses of apple juice and then ate 1/2 of a watermelon (looking back, not the best thing:)) a few hours later she started throwing up. All day Sunday throwing up. She stayed home from school on Monday and we had tickets to the Hanna Montana concert that night. I told her that she could go if she stopped throwing up. It just didn't happen. She stayed home with her dad while I took her friends I had invited to go with us to the concert. Tuesday morning I looked at her and she was SOOO skinny and she couldn't catch her breath. She was a very sick little girl.

I took her into the ER and she was delirious. They got her into a room immediately. In about 2 minutes they told me she had to go to childrens hospital and she had diabetes. I kept thinking, no - she has the flu. Her blood sugar was 680+ and her A1C was 14.7. She had lost a whopping 16lbs (she started out at 80lbs) - Her weight loss was so gradual we just didn't notice it and EVERY symptom was attributed to something else. She was dx'd in Oct just after she turned 11 and the moodiness, weight loss etc was attributed to puberty. The vomiting was the flu. The nurses and doctors at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital were FANTASTIC. They explained everything and assured us that she would be fine and we as a family would be fine. We have had nothing but positive experiences with everything since Madison was dx'd. It's all been great, Endo, school (she couldn't come to school UNTIL we had a 504 and an IHP:)), nurse, insurance, sports, friends, family...we are blessed!

Gaia
02-24-2008, 10:00 AM
My husband had the stomach bug that was going around at Xmas time. I had it the week before. Then Joey got it. The first day back to school after Xmas break we got a call @ 10 am to come pick him up, he was having bad cramps. Kept him home the rest of the week. Monday, went to school & same thing, had to go pick him up. He was drinking upwards of 3 gallons of fluid, constantly eating & peeing. Found wet sheets in the washer one morning but didnt want to embarrass him so chalked it up to so much fluid. My husband was really thirsty w/ the flu too so it just didnt click. Finally, Wed night I couldnt stand watching him double up crying anymore. Called my mother, she came & picked us up, Jim watched the twins and away we went to the ER. As soon as I got there I told them his symptoms and they took his sugar and immediatly put him in a front room because it was blinking HI. They took it again and it was 1180!:eek: I was absolutely speechless!! They said he would have been comatose by morning :eek: :eek: I felt like cr@p. My husbands father died of diabetic complications 6 months before we met. Im a CNA. Some of this should have clicked!! Im still working on the guilt. Joey spent 3 days in the ICU and 3 days on the Med-Surg ward. I didnt let him go to school for another week or so because I was afraid to let him out of my sight. I still wont let him over-night anywhere. I let him go to a friends for the afternoon & dinner and that was only because the mother has gestational diabetes and was really understanding and watchful. :(

lisalotsamom
02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
When Tessa was 16 mos old she was diagnosed with JRA. She was on the small side physically, so when she had her 18 month checkup and weighed only 18 pounds, the ped thought that her JRA was causing her body to use a lot of calories for the inflammatory process, and told us to try and give her high caloric foods, maybe some Pediasure.
Right after her checkup we were getting ready to go out of town to visit relatives in Alabama (we live in FL). 2 nights before we left, she wet through her diaper at night, and I thought maybe we should try another brand of diaper. When we arrived in Alabama, she wet through her diaper again a few nights and I got another brand. She was a bit more fussy than usual, but I thought it was because of the change in routine, being in a strange place. Then we drove to the St.Louis area to visit my sister. The first night we were there, she threw up. I thought she was getting a stomach virus, so got some Pedialyte and gave her that over the next day, watched her. She was drinking a lot, but it didn't seem excessive for summer or a sick child. Over the next 2 days, she threw up a few more times, and was getting obviously worse in her behavior, went from playing and running around to lying on the couch and sleeping a lot. On the Saturday afternoon, she suddenly seemed worse to me, wasn't as alert, wouldn't drink or nurse , and we took her to the ER
The triage nurse took one look at her and said, "Get the crash cart!" to her co-workers. They took her back right away, and were trying to get an IV line but it was hard because she was so dehydrated, then finally got one in her shin bone to directly push IV fluids into her system. THey did labs and her blood sugar was almost 700, with a blood ph of 6.9--very severe ketoacidosis. She was intubated and placed on a ventilator and they got her ready to transfer to a childrens hospital in St. Louis. They wanted to Life Flight by helicopter, but it was pouring rain and had to go by ambulance. That ride following the ambulance was the worst time of my life.
Once at Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital (a wonderful, amazing place!), we met with the pediatric endo and she explained everything. They did a CAT scan of her brain to check for damage from the very high blood sugar, but thankfully it was fine. Tessa spent 2 days in the PICU and another 4 on the floor before being discharged. I flew home with her and my husband drove the other children home,
That was in July of 2004, and now none of my kids can urinate frequently or vomit without me wanting to check their blood sugar.

Margaret O
02-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Looking back, several months' worth of symptoms never triggered anything. Then it all fell into place and I called the Dr. right before the school nurse called me to express concerns.

--Excessive thirst
--Up all night peeing (the kid who couldn't be potty trained because he slept so soundly)
--A faint or two which we wrote off to improper eating
--Eating everything in sight and skinny as a rail (turns out he lost 10% if his body weight) which we wrote off to being 13
--Nasty moods which we wrote off to being 13
--EXTREME fatigue which we wrote off to being 13

Glad to report he's back to his good old happy healthy self thanks to a little insulin here and there.

Becky

OMG, this was my son to a T. He was 13 when he was diagnosed. We wrote everything off to 13...even questioned if he was starting to drink (not water) :eek: One of his teachers called me to ask if something was going on in his life as his grades were falling and he was no longer participating in class. The day of his dx, Pat came to me and said he wanted to quit baseball because he didn't have enough energy to play...April 16th, called the doctor, he confirmed my fears even though I wasn't exactly sure what I should be afraid of. We headed to the ER with a 749 bg.

It is amazing how a little insulin brought our boy back!

patriot06
02-24-2008, 08:41 PM
After i wiped the tears form my eyes from reading all of these stories I can't help but to think that it should become a mandatory reading for ALL pediatricians so that they can ALL become aware of the different ways diabetes presents itself. Maybe if they were ALL required to read our stories they would not wait so long or blow off the parents, especially those of us who have been so traumatized by guilt from missing it.... maybe they wouldn't be telling us NOT to be so worried about it happening to our other children.

Sorry it is off topic but i just had to share:confused:

Mama Belle
02-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Here's our story ...

My dad was diagnosed with type 1 when he was 12 and they were always worried that I would be diagnosed too at some point, so I was very familiar with the symptoms. I was never diagnosed but the symptoms stuck with me and it was a good thing because without that I wouldn't have caught my daughter's D until she was very, very sick.

Samantha was dx'd 3 weeks after her 4th birthday. She was drinking a ton of water, could not get enough of it. She all of a sudden was peeing a lot and would have accidents every single day at pre-school. I thought it was just her getting distracted playing with friends and waiting too long to visit the bathroom. I made a deal with her that if she could go one week without an accident at school I would buy her the Barbie house she had been wanting. But the accidents kept happening.

She left on a road trip vacation for 5 days with her dad and his parents and he called me from the road on the way home to say he was having to stop every 30 minutes to let her pee on the side of the road. He thought she maybe had a UTI, but in the back of my mind I was already thinking about diabetes.

When she got home it was very obvious to me that something wasn't right. She was having accidents all the time and would run to the bathroom and just not make it in time. I had expressed my concerns to my dad and he told me that she'd be very,very sick if she had D, that it couldn't be D. But one night she threw a fit when I wouldn't let her have water right before bed (I was just doing what the books said to do with bedwetting). She has never thrown a fit in her entire life and she literally threw herself down on the floor and was screaming for water. I gave it to her and put her in bed with me. I knew something was seriously wrong.

I called my dad (he was out of town with my mom) and told him again that I thought it was D. Again, he told me there was no way, that she'd have leg cramps and be very, very sick (he was basing this upon his own diagnosis experience in 1955). But he said that to make me feel better we could meet him at their house the next afternoon after they returned to town and we could test her BG using his meter. That night I tossed and turned, between the trips to the bathroom with Sam. One time she didn't make it to the toilet in time and peed a little bit on the bathroom tile. I tossed the closest towel I could find on top of it and decided I'd clean the floor in the morning. We went back to bed and I kept dreaming that Samantha had Diabetes. In the morning, I went to clean the floor and the towel was stuck to the floor, literally, it was stuck. When I got it free the floor was super sticky, like someone had poured sugar water all over it. At this point I knew my suspicions were right.

That afternoon we met my parents at their house around 5 and tested her BG. We got "HI" three times in a row. We then proceeded to test everyone else to make sure the meter was working because my dad had never seen a "HI" reading before and didn't even know what it was. I had to look on the internet to find out that it was a reading over 600. It never occurred to me at the time that this was an emergency. Samantha looked ok. She acted ok. She just was peeing and drinking a lot more. So I decided I'd take her to the pedi first thing the next morning. I tested her throughout the night and she dropped down into the mid 300s by morning.

When I called the pedi the next morning the scheduler tried to tell me they couldn't see us that day. I explained to her that I knew my daughter had D and she just needed an official diagnosis so she could be treated. She put me off again. I told her to put me on hold, go find a doctor and tell them what the blood glucose meter readings were and then see if they still couldn't fit me in. She returned and told me they would work me in at 10 am. It turns out that the doc that diagnosed Sam was not her usual doc and he has 3 (out of 4 total) of his own kids who have D. He sat us down listened to me talk about her symptoms and the BG readings and he said, "I can pretty much guaranty that she has Diabetes, but I want to do a few tests first to make sure." We had Sam pee in a cup and about ten minutes later he came into the room and told us she had D and we needed to go right down to the Barbara Davis Center. She had lost about 10% of her body weight and had an A1c of 8.5. We lucked out and caught it very early. We spent the next two days getting training from the folks at the BDC and figuring out how we were going to adjust to our new life.

Needless to say the very next day I went out and bought her that Barbie house. I felt so badly for assuming that it was something she could control. :(

Laurie
02-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I have to warn you, its long. There were a lot of screw ups along the way to her diagnosis.

My husband and I had gone out of town for the weekend and Kylee was staying with my parents, who were in the process of painting a "getaway" house they had just finished remodeling. Kylee would help my mom paint for 20 minutes, then go sleep for 2 hours. She was really whiney and my parents kept telling her to quit being so lazy and that if she would get up and do something, she wouldnt be so tired. She also kept turning the heat up, saying she was cold. My parents thought she was coming down with the flu by the second day, and were giving her Gatorade to drink and soup to eat. We got home Sunday evening and I went to pick Kylee up, she was pale and laying on the couch, and my mom said she wouldnt eat anything, just drink. I took her home, and she went straight to bed, wouldnt get up for dinner or anything. I assumed the flu too. About 3 that morning, she threw up. She came and got me and told me what had happened, I got up, made sure she was ok and told her to go back to bed. I got up a few hours later to shower and get ready for work, Kylee was still sleeping, she was pale, so I figured I would just let her stay home that day. My husband was off so it wasnt a big deal. Soon after I got out of the shower she came and told me her head really hurt and that the light was too bright. So I started thinking migrane, my husband gets them and has the same symptoms. I got her some Tylenol and a glass of water and gave them to her and she dropped the Tylenol into the water. I asked her why she did it, and she had no idea what she had even done. I knew then that something was really wrong. Within 20 minutes she had started to turn a weird purpley flushed color and was really confused. We live in the middle of nowhere, our clinic wasnt open yet and it takes about an hour to get a doctor in the ER, so I decided to take to the town an hour away and be at the clinic just as it opened. I was already thinking diabetes and my husband told me to make sure that they checked her blood sugar. I called work to let them know I wasnt coming in and we left. She slept the whole way there and had started to do this weird sigh thing sometimes when she breathed. I got her into the clinic and they had her in a room within 10 minutes. The nurse comes in and I tell her that I want them to check her blood sugar, she makes a note of it, then takes her temp, which by this time was 99 something and leaves. The doctor comes in, says I see she has a fever, lets check her throat. Kylee has big tonsils and they have funny markings on them, but as soon as he sees them he says he thinks shes got strep. I told him they always look like that and she hasnt said her throat hurts and tell him I would like her to be checked for diabetes. He tells me again that he thinks shes got strep, so they are going to do a rapid strep test on her. She is totally out of it and freezing on the exam table and I told him Ive never seen strep do this to anyone. The rapid strep test comes back negative, so he decides to do some UAs and a few labs and do the longer strep test. I ask him again to please check her for diabetes and he says he can add that to the labs. So I get Kylee off the exam table and into the bathroom somehow, and then she suddenly becomes wide awake and insists I leave while she uses the bathroom, so I did. They start running the urine tests while getting ready to draw blood, and its all in the same room, so we are standing right there when I hear the nurse in the room make an odd noise. The doctor is also in there and walks over to look over the nurses shoulder and says hmm and looks at me, then tells the woman drawing Kylee's blood to do a finger stick while she is there. It reads 574. The doctor looked at me, said "Well, I guess we know what her diagnosis is" and sends us back to the exam room to wait for him. Kylee is out of it again and falls asleep as soon as she gets on the exam table. I called my husband, and even though I was totally expecting to hear it, I was bawling. The doctor comes back with some handouts and a sample pen of 70/30 Novolog, told me I would need to give her 7 units int he morning and 3 at night, or something like that, and says that I will need to contact a nutritionist and an endocrinologist, but he will have to write a referral for that, so wait to call them until that afternoon after he had made the call. He gave me a prescription for a meter and strips and one for some more 70/30 insulin, told me to give her something to eat from this list of foods and give her some insulin and he sent us home. Never checked ketones or anything else. While he is in there talking to me, the sighing thing shes doing while she is breathing is becoming a lot more regular and he asked me why she was doing that. I told him I didnt know, she had been doing it off and on since that morning. My parents live in the town where we were, so I took her to their house to give her some food and a shot. I had never done a shot before and so really nervous, but I did it anyway. I worked in a nursing home for awhile and had seen insulin given in the arm, so thats where I did it since the doctor hadnt told me anything about where to do it. She ate about two bites of oatmeal in half an hour and I stopped pushing it. I put her in the car and drove the hour home. She slept the whole way home, but had also started the weird sigh with every breath. It was so rythmic, if she didnt do it I actually would check to see if she was breathing. I dropped her off at home with my husband and left to get her prescriptions filled. While I was waiting at the pharmacy, the doctor called my cell phone and said he had just spoken to the endo and that they wanted her brought back to their clinic for more labs and then she would need to be taken to Reno(3 hours away) and admitted. I told him we would be there as soon as we could, and left to go get her. As I was driving home, he called again and said that we would be transporting her by ambulance to Reno and I lost it then. I told him I would call him back when I got home so my husband could talk to him because I wasnt totally sure I could. As I was pulling into the driveway my phone rang again. It was the doctor saying there was another change and we were to take her to our ER and they would Life Flight her to Reno. I stumbled inside where my husband was trying to get Kylee to stand up so they could go get in the car. He was very concerned about her breathing and had decided to take her to the ER himself. I told him what was going on and we got her to the car and took her to the ER. They wouldnt fly her out until she had 2 bags of saline in her, and of course couldnt get any IVs started. The doctor came in and started explaining that she was in very serious condition and was in DKA and told me then that we never should have been allowed to go home. She became unresponsive soon after we got there and would groan if you rubbed you knuckles really hard on her chest. After 4 hours, she was finally stable enough to transport. She slept most of the next two days, ended up spending 5 days in the PICU because they couldnt get her potassium up, then another 2 days in a regular room and here we are now. She remembers nothing until about day 4. I went to high school with the flight nurse from the helicopter she was flown out on and she told me just before Christmas that things got scary just before they got into Reno. They had the paddles out and where ready to shock her. The doctor said that giving her Gatorade over the weekend had probably saved her. Her electrolytes and potassium and all that stuff was so low, he said he couldnt imagine what would have happened if she hadnt drank it.

Looking back, there were lots of signs we just never recognized. The crabbiness, loss of appetite, sleeping all the time, headaches, weightloss. We attributed most of it to the fact that she is 10 and a kid. The drinking and peeing never really struck us because Kylee has ALWAYS drank a lot(2 gallons a day when she was 3). I will never ever forget that breathing though and truly hope I never hear it again.
What a horrifying story! I can't believe that the dr. sent her home! I hope he has been educated and will not let that happen again!

tandjjt
02-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Needless to say the very next day I went out and bought her that Barbie house.

This part made me giggle through tears -- I just wasn't expecting it AND it sounds just like something I would do -- straight to Wal-Mart we go... anything to put a smile back on that sweet little face ;)

cpmms
02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Miranda was diagnosed in Oct. 2007 (age 12) She had been very thirty and drinking insane amounts of water and going to the bathroom constantly for about 3 weeks. We had already had a well visit scheduled, and when she went in, I asked them to check her urine. It was confirmed that she had diabetes. We were shocked!! She has actually lost about 5-6 lbs and we did not notice, as her clothes still fit. She was admitted to the hospital BG 500, no ketones-- she was released the next day, and she started on the Animas pump last week.

saxmaniac
02-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Needless to say the very next day I went out and bought her that Barbie house. I felt so badly for assuming that it was something she could control. :(

Same thing! We were using a Cars Doodle pad as a reward for something. I forget exactly which, maybe it was potty training or behavior. He got it the next day. His A1C was (I think) 10.5 at dx, but wasn't in DKA and recovered quickly. He was like a brand new kid in just over a day.

4Loves
02-25-2008, 10:21 PM
My son was diagnosed last spring. It took me a while to figure out what was happening and then a longer time to admit it.

His hands were so dry and cracked (but it's winter and he washes his hands a bit compulsively)

He started wetting the bed (but he always drinks a lot before bed and besides, I heard another mom talking about how her 6 year old has been having accidents too)

He was lethargic (I didn't notice this actually until I realized how different he was once he was on insulin. I was just so proud of my docile child. I thought I was finally doing something right to have a quiet, obedient child.)

Weight loss - this is what did it. I knew for over a week that he must have T1D but kept hoping that it would go away. When I weighed him one morning and he was only 40 pounds I was on the phone with the Dr. and tears were pouring down my face.