PDA

View Full Version : Do pretzels cause a problem for anyone?

hawkeyegirl
02-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Jack had a weird reading tonight, and I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

We're honeymooning, so it's really, really, really rare to see a number higher than the low 200s. At supper tonight, he was 213. He ate 36 carbs (22 of them were from pretzels, 10 from apple, and 4 from hot dog). I'm sure of the counts - I weighed everything. I gave him a unit for the carbs and another half unit as a correction dose.

Two hours post supper he was 293! Gack! That's almost unheard of for us. I went over the numbers again. The Humalog vial is only 3 days old. I didn't think he was getting sick.

I tested again in an hour, and he was 212. Good. He's going the right direction, and I can relax a bit. I figure he'll drop a bit more, and then be in a range where I feel comfortable with him going to bed.

But I was sort of baffled by this. Could it be the pretzels? I know they have a high GI, and really he ate a lot more pretzels tonight than he has anytime since diagnosis. Has anyone else run into this?

And if I just sound too darn obsessive, feel free to tell me that too! :p

vettechmomof2
02-19-2008, 09:21 PM
pretzals shoot us up as well. Luckily she really doesn't like them.
Allene

Ellen
02-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Some people use pretzels to raise bg quickly.

hawkeyegirl
02-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Some people use pretzels to raise bg quickly.

Well color me stupid! I had no idea. I guess I'll avoid making pretzels the main carb feature of a meal from now on. (This forum needs a blushing smilie.)

Heather(CA)
02-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Well color me stupid! I had no idea. I guess I'll avoid making pretzels the main carb feature of a meal from now on. (This forum needs a blushing smilie.)

I had no idea either, and I've been at this for 5 years:eek: I have been wondering about this though...I just bought some pretzels at costco and it has seemed to spike him...I'm going to watch for it;) Nice Job

Vi'sMom
02-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Pretzels do a number on us too! shoots Vi right thru the roof, but like many others she doesn't really like them all that much so it isn't really a big deal

coni
02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
And if I just sound too darn obsessive, feel free to tell me that too! :p

You sound too darn obsessive...JUST KIDDING:D Pretzels are spikey. And Ellen is right, some people do use them to treat lows. Good sleuthing mom!

Rachel
02-20-2008, 03:09 AM
Whole wheat ones are a little less spikey for my guy ...

patriot06
02-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Yes, pretzels are killers for my son. Actually, before we even knew he was diabetic i gave him one from Sam's club (with salt only) 1/2 hour later he was doubled over with stomach pain having cold sweats and telling me he felt like he was having difficulty breathing. I was still shopping so i put him in the car and gave him water (because he said he was severly thirsty) started towards the hospital ER thinking maybe he had some type of intestinal blockage. Right before we got to the hospital he passed alot of gas and said he felt better. It went away and i thought maybe it was just a fluke of a thing. that happened a month before he was diagnosed. After he was diagnosed and we were trained about carbs, i looked up the carb count for that hot pretzel and was shocked!!!!!:eek: no wonder ---of course i would never have thought a pretzel without sugar could do that to a diabetic until i saw the carb count. Several weeks ago my son was craving a hot pretzel. So i thought i could give him one by counting all the carbs of a small hot pretzel for his dinner carb load and then giving him free food such as cheese and meat. Well, at first he dropped to 41 so we treated for the low then he spiked up to 375 and we were giving him water and getting him moving. It took 2 hours to get the number under 200. The same thing happened with a bagel. Apparently any thick doughy food takes longer for him to digest and then when it does it shoots him up. I've decided to keep him away for doughy foods like that for now......

Lee
02-20-2008, 09:01 AM
We use pretzels for a not so low treatment - they work great and are filling - anything under 50 gets something different though!