PDA

View Full Version : Tragic -People-to-People Ambassador program

Ellen
01-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Warning this is tragic about a 16 year old - you may not want to read this. But I don't want anyone else to send their child on a P2P program without knowing about it.

My son also went on a People to People program in DC - it was awful - total waste of money, poor supervision, poor management. Beware.

People to People Faces Wrongful Death Lawsuit (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/01/p2p_hill.html)

Momof4gr8kids
01-31-2008, 08:31 PM
I didn't read all of it. I couldn't. That is very sad, and very wrong.

Brensdad
01-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Un-freakin' believeable. :mad:

OSUMom
01-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Thank you for sharing. We need to know.

WestinsMom
01-31-2008, 09:33 PM
how disturbing :(

skimom
01-31-2008, 10:10 PM
I cannot believe that anyone could sit by and watch this happen.Those P2P people - well I can't even express in words what I think of this. My heart goes out to his family - such a waste of a wonderful young life

funnygrl
01-31-2008, 10:21 PM
That's really sad.

My friend who has type 1 went on 2 P2P trips and never had a problem.

My sister and I have travelled overseas with our church. That was very well organized. Hopefully this will force P2P to shape up.

Twinklet
01-31-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm stunned. How horrible.

Anne
01-31-2008, 11:14 PM
How awful and sad...shows how vulnerable our kids can be. Thanks for posting Ellen as we all need to know about negligent programs like this. We have had mailings from them but have never gone on any of their trips. Does anyone know how they get our names?
Anne

Boo
02-01-2008, 10:05 AM
A couple of years ago, I considered sending Andy on one of these to Hawaii. When I was told that he would be totally in charge of his own diabetes care, I obviously couldn't (he was 10). I'm so glad I didn't.

I do know one neighborhood girl who went on one trip (kind of mixed reviews...she liked it, her mom wasn't exactly thrilled with the adult supervision...or lack thereof).

My son's best friend is considering going on a sports ambassador trip this summer (also People to People I think). I struggled with the decision to forward this article to the mom since they all seemed very excited about the trip, but I did since I'd feel personally responsible if I knew about this, didn't tell them, and something happened. He is not T1, but does have exercise-induced asthma and would be playing soccer.

I often wondered who would have "nominated" my son for a trip like that given his age and the fact that he was T1. My neighbor and I just had the conversation the other night about who nominated her son (my husband is his soccer coach and had nothing to do with it). I guess I kind of suspected that it was just a mass mailing list. :rolleyes:

What a shame!

MamaC
02-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Tragic, mind boggling loss.

They solicit through mass mailing lists...we used to get these mailings every year for my daughter and she was sooooo angry that we would not permit her to go. I have to admit I was thrilled the first time received an invitation. Then I realized there was no "nomination." I suspect these mailing lists are sold by organizations to which these kids belong (the 3 kids I know who have participated in P2P have been either Scouts or elite athletes).

I have been told that these trips are badly supervised as far as kids who WANT to stray are concerned. To learn that they are medically unsafe is very unsettling. I would love to see the program shut down and will let everyone I know who is considering P2P that they are questionable.

Becky

GaPeach
02-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I guess this serves as a warning to all of us to prepare our children to act on their own behalf. Sometimes adults will fail them.

I commend the parents on trying to right this wrong through legal action. This organization should be shut down!

I know that my daughter will one day go on trips out-of-state and overseas. I think that I will make a card for her to keep on her person that states something like - "I have Type 1 diabetes and am insulin-dependant. I am not feeling well and need medical assistance. Please call for an ambulance to take me to the hospital." She could just hand the card to someone if she needs help and no one is listening to her request. Of course, this needs to be in the language of the country in which she is traveling.

Best to be pro-active.

Momof4gr8kids
02-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I wonder if there is some kind of letter writing or something we could do to help this family?

susanH
02-01-2008, 11:12 AM
thanks for the tragic warning ellen. what a waste of a wonderful young life.

of course, their defense will be he was a non-compliant type1 diabetic...that's what i'd bet they'll use. what a load of crap.

altitude sickness will devastate any non-d person's system if not handled properly and immediately.

how can you possibly explain to that nitwit organization that a well-controlled type1 person like him is more in tune with their physical self than mere 'mortals' will EVER BE, and once they reach that level, neglecting their health and diabetes is just not even possible; they've come too far and know way too much to let that go. once you're there, once you find that level of respect for yourself and your body, it's for good.

i hope they're shut down soon.

Brensdad
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
This thing reminds me of those "Who's Who" solicitations I get all the time at work. They're nothing more than a solicitation to sell a book full of people's names. I wonder if P2P is nothing more than a travel agency.

Ellen
02-01-2008, 01:37 PM
After my son's lousy experience, we filled out the evaluation form and were explicit about all that had gone wrong, how poorly it was run, what was specifically a failure etc. When we changed his flight home and I let the office know, no one at P2P ever told my son. I had to phone him directly to make sure he was flying into Orlando to attend FFL instead of going to Ft. Lauderdale. The communication was impossible. No one ever called us back or wrote to us to acknowledge how much time my son took to outline the problems. They continued to solicit for him to attend other programs put on by People-to-People and then they solicited for my daughter as well. No one there is listening.

Ali
02-01-2008, 01:49 PM
It was not just that he had diabetes but that so many adults would not immeadiately take any child or adult vomiting blood to the hospital. Or even take any kid who said they needed to go. He was not a five year old with a scraped knee he was a young adult fully capable of saying he was ill. Plus anyone with boys knows they do not volunteer that they feel sick or are hurt unless somehting is really bad. The "help" on the plane is also outrageous. Ali

AlisonKS
02-01-2008, 02:18 PM
that is so sad!

Mama Belle
02-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Reading that story made my stomach turn. I just don't understand how something like this could happen? Doesn't common sense dictate that if anyone is vomiting blood, they should receive immediate medical treatment? The part that really mystified me was that the parents were not notified about any of this, but P2P felt the need to phone them from Japan about the fact that he held his girlfriend's hand. WTF??? :confused:

jendean
02-03-2008, 12:51 PM
I think that it should be a reminder to us to make sure that we talk to our childrens friends, thier peers. Because sometimes, these are the only ones we can count on.

I am so sad for that mom.
what a disgusting organization.
But I believe it.

sadly.

Tamara Gamble
02-03-2008, 07:04 PM
I am so saddened by this story. Poor Ty and his poor family. What a horrible, horrible tragedy.

Tami

fredntan2
02-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Apparently they do send out mass mailing-our dd-not D got mailing last year-she was sooo excited. she thought it was a honor to be invited, etc etc. I did some research on internet-not a lot of good reviews-then the kid down road got letter-this kid skips school ,does drugs, makes terrible grades-and here he is nominated. that was enough for her. and the trip was like 4 or 6000? I don't think so.

momgarita
02-04-2008, 04:51 PM
My 13 year old T1 daughter is scheduled to go to Alaska with P2P this summer and so far the leaders here in California have been very agreeable and willing to learn about diabetes. Now that I've read the article about this boy, it has sent me into a panic naturally. My daughter was nominated by her friend's mom, whose son has gone on two previous trips and loved every minute of it. What concerns me is that they did not seek medical attention for the boy when he requested it and then left him alone for hours. On the other hand, two days ago I was all set to let her go (with caveats) and I don't want to let fear rule my thinking. As my husband says, "It's really up to whether you trust the people supervising your child."

I would like to know how many other kids with diabetes have gone on these trips with P2P and what their experiences were.

Ellen
02-04-2008, 06:38 PM
My son was 17 when he went and he handled 100% of the diabetes on his own. As I stated above, many things were not managed properly and I would not recommend the program he attended. The communication once he was on the trip was poor at best.

munchkingirl
02-23-2008, 01:53 AM
This is so crazy! Absolutely mind boggling that they would just tell a *Diabetic* kid to "tough it out" when he's been sick and then vomiting blood!?

What absolutely shocks me about this as well is - I am in Spokane, Washington and have done a lot of work for this Organization! The people I've dealt with have always been amazingly sweet and kind. Just completely weird and horrid.

Gaia
02-23-2008, 12:32 PM
:eek: How horrible! I cant imagine her pain or her anger. My prayers go out to her. :(

Ellen
02-23-2008, 05:17 PM
The parents filed a federal complaint

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/02/p2p_hill_ftc.html

SunshineMom
03-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Hi, I'm Ty's proud mom.

You can read more about Ty's story and our advocacy at www.consumeraffairs.com - Lisa McCormick, search People to People, and T Hill Bill for Safety Standards www.thillbill.org

Please log on and write your congress and senators to support the T Hill Bill. MN Congressman Ramstad is sponsoring the T Hill Bill.

If you had a bad experience, write your state's attorney general or file an FTC complaint. Links are also on www.tylerhill.org.

I want people to know that Ty's death was 100% preventable. We sent Ty off with amazing safety nets, They all fell through. International cell phones, Japanese health cards, a girlfriend who tried to stay with him and was rebuffed, and most importantly protocols and lectures to staff to phone us if Ty was ever ill...at all. Despite People to People's promise to phone if your child is severely ill, or obtain appropriate medical care, neither of those happened. Ty was left alone in his room after requesting a hospital. He knew he was sick, very sick.

Ty was exemplary in diabetes care at 6'2" 215lbs and MVP in Rugby his first year. He was an honors student and a hero at his high school for reporting a bomb threat, alone. With HbA1c's in the 5.6-6.5 range until the final one at 7.6 after illness with no episodes of DKA or severe hypos, We felt he was ready. Ty had certainly earned the opportunity. Although we now know that children are not 'honored' or 'nominated' to go on People to People Student Ambassador trips.

Ty was strong, diabetes made him fragile. He knew it. He tried. He did the right thing. I am so proud to be his mom. And so angry. :mad:

Please help us protect others. Write your state's representatives and senators to support the T Hill Bill.

Thanks for being part of the positive change.

Treysmom
03-05-2008, 07:40 PM
This is such a shame! I will say prayers for your family.

OSUMom
03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi, I'm Ty's proud mom.

You can read more about Ty's story and our advocacy at www.consumeraffairs.com - Lisa McCormick, search People to People, and T Hill Bill for Safety Standards www.thillbill.org

Please log on and write your congress and senators to support the T Hill Bill. MN Congressman Ramstad is sponsoring the T Hill Bill.

If you had a bad experience, write your state's attorney general or file an FTC complaint. Links are also on www.tylerhill.org.

I want people to know that Ty's death was 100% preventable. We sent Ty off with amazing safety nets, They all fell through. International cell phones, Japanese health cards, a girlfriend who tried to stay with him and was rebuffed, and most importantly protocols and lectures to staff to phone us if Ty was ever ill...at all. Despite People to People's promise to phone if your child is severely ill, or obtain appropriate medical care, neither of those happened. Ty was left alone in his room after requesting a hospital. He knew he was sick, very sick.

Ty was exemplary in diabetes care at 6'2" 215lbs and MVP in Rugby his first year. He was an honors student and a hero at his high school for reporting a bomb threat, alone. With HbA1c's in the 5.6-6.5 range until the final one at 7.6 after illness with no episodes of DKA or severe hypos, We felt he was ready. Ty had certainly earned the opportunity. Although we now know that children are not 'honored' or 'nominated' to go on People to People Student Ambassador trips.

Ty was strong, diabetes made him fragile. He knew it. He tried. He did the right thing. I am so proud to be his mom. And so angry. :mad:

Please help us protect others. Write your state's representatives and senators to support the T Hill Bill.

Thanks for being part of the positive change.

Welcome Ty's mom! I'm so sorry for your loss. You can count on me to write to my congressman and senator to support the T Hill bill. You're an incredible mom!!! :cwds::cwds:

Flutterby
03-05-2008, 11:15 PM
How horrible, those poor parents.. that poor boy.. being in a strange country and being sick.. not knowing where to go.. I feel so bad for this family.. I know no amount of money will bring back their son.. but I hope they get a bunch from this organization.. and theey get shut down!

AJsmom
03-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Thank you Ty's mom (and Ellen) for bringing this to our attention! I will definitely be writing a letter to support the T Hill bill! We also need to do what we can to get this out there...even in the non-D community. This is very sad and an outrage! My prayers are with you and your family.

Gaia
08-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Here is an update on Tyler's story. Thought everyone may be interested. Whats posted below are just excerpts from the website http://www.tylerhill.org :

Tylers Story

Tyler?s family is pursuing legislation for the T Hill Bill for Safety Standards to ensure safety protocols are in place to protect children. The Hills want to share their story about Tyler?s tragedy to help protect other students and raise awareness among parents about the need for safety standards for student ambassador programs and other similar travel programs.

On June 29, 2007, while on a trip to Tokyo, Japan, Tyler Hill passed away at the Japanese Red Cross Medical Center. According to hospital officials, Tyler?s death could have been prevented had he received immediate medical attention. The family filed a lawsuit with the Hennepin County Court in Minnesota on Jan. 28, 2008.

You can read the Judge's order of June 10, 2009 at the following link:
http://www.tylerhill.org/index.php/Left/Tylers-Story.html

Proposed Bill

Tyler?s family has proposed the T-Hill Safety Standards Bill to ensure safety protocols will be put in place to protect the thousands of children who participate in People to People student ambassador programs ? and other similar travel programs ? each year.

PURPOSE
To protect ?all? students (U S citizens and foreigners) and children who are entrusted to third parties, especially during travel within the United States and Internationally.

PEOPLE
Students of any age, preschool through college entrusted to the care of 3rd parties, especially during remote travel.

PROBLEM
No safety standards exist to protect children?s health and safety rights while entrusted to third parties, especially during travel programs. Children have been denied health care, died, hurt, abandoned, sick and killed.

* There are no criteria for the selection of Leaders entrusted to the care for children.
* There is no mandated protocol for communication between the parents and the child, or the parents and the leaders; or a safety net for the child to call for help if a situation demands it.
* There is no protocol for reporting abuse, accidents, injuries and deaths.

PAYOFF
Our most valuable assets, our children, will be able to travel safely, work towards international understanding, religious and racial tolerance and create peace, SAFELY.

http://www.tylerhill.org/index.php/Left/Proposed-Bill.html

Reese'sMom
08-22-2009, 02:46 PM
What a disturbing story. My heart goes out to the family. I don't think I could ever feel comfortable letting Reese go on a trip that I or his Dad wasn't on with him.

People just don't understand how quickly our kids can become seriously ill. This group obviously just thought this boy had the flu and didn't have enough common sense to get him medical attention sooner based on his medical status as a type-1.

Horribly sad.

2type1s
08-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Both my older daughters got P2P letters. I said "no".....based on there was no way I'd send Morgan to another country with type1 without me. I have a friend whose son just got back from Australia and had a wonderful time. This story sickens me. I will forward to friend whose kids are getting letters and deciding right now...I was just talking 2 days ago to a friend about sending her daughter.